Ex-firefighter accused of assault is arrested

The former San Francisco firefighter who is accused of using his badge to gain women’s trust before sexually assaulting them was arrested Friday afternoon, police said.

Sgt. Neville Gittens said Horacio Candia Jr. went to the office of an attorney, who called police around 2 p.m. to notify them of Candia’s  presence there.

Officers went to the office and took 38-year-old Candia into custody on a $500,000 warrant for three counts of forced oral copulation, one count of sexual battery, one count of making terrorist threats and one count of false imprisonment, Gittens said.

The most recent incident happened Aug. 22 near the intersection of 16th and Carolina streets, on the border of the Potrero Hill neighborhood, according to the Police Department. The victim was able to escape Candia’s vehicle and call police.

Candia  had a nearly nine-year career with the Fire Department that ended in January 2001 when he was fired for refusing to take a drug test, according to Lt. Mindy Talmadge. It was suspected that Candia had been intoxicated while on the job, she told The Examiner on Wednesday.

Candia still has his badge, Talmadge said, because he had purchased it from The City when he had been promoted to the rank of chief operator several years before his firing.

“With all uniformed employees … when a person either retires or assumes a different rank, they are given the option of either relinquishing their prior rank badge or purchasing it,” Talmadge said.

— Bay City News

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocalSan Francisco Fire Department

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

SFUSD educators hit with layoff warning

Superintendent says district faces budget shortfall, depleted reserves

SF to provide $350K to help struggling nonprofit care for youth in crisis

City stopped sending clients to Edgewood Center after sexual abuse allegations emerged

Becerra sues Trump administration over Delta water diversions

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra sued President Donald Trump’s administration in federal… Continue reading

CalTrans settles lawsuit over homeless sweeps on state property

Settlement requires agency to give warning before taking property and assist with retrieval

Plan to relocate Bayview charter school meets with resistance

School district wants to move KIPP elementary to vacant Treasure Island school site

Most Read