Era ends as city moves Halloween away from Castro

A strong message is going to be sent to the tens of thousands of Halloween revelers who descend upon San Francisco from throughout the Bay Area — the Castro party is officially busted.

This year, fun-seekers will find no party set-up — no barricades, no portable toilets, and no entertainment — in the historically gay neighborhood, said Supervisor Bevan Dufty, who represents the Castro.

“The streets will be open and the traffic will be flowing down Market Street,” Dufty said.

Over the years, the decades-old celebration has grown into a massive event with costumed revelers, dancing and stages of free entertainment. Portions of Market and Castro streets in the neighborhood are closed to accommodate the large crowd and BART provides additional train service for the event.

Dufty is also asking Castro stores, restaurants and bars to close by 8 p.m. Several have already agreed, he said, including cafes La Mediterranee and Squat and Gobble.

As the crowds increased, the atmosphere has turned from playful to unruly, say some neighborhood residents and merchants. Incidents of violence have also marred the celebration: Last year, despite the presence of more than 500 public safety officers, a gunman opened fire, wounding nine people. In 2002, four people were stabbed.

As an alternative, city officials are hoping to lure the party to a parking lot by AT&T Park, by creating a large-scale event that would include a top-name entertainer. Free shuttle buses from the Castro to the waterfront area would be provided, Dufty said.

“It’s going to be something that people would want to see,” said Audrey Joseph, a member of The City’s Entertainment Commission who has coordinated the Halloween celebration in recent years.

Joseph is reviewing proposals by promoters interested in putting together the South Beach event — which she anticipates will cost several hundred thousand dollars to produce. The City will invest no money in the event, Joseph said.

A hypothetical possibility, she said, would allow the promoter to recover costs through sponsorships, food and beverage sales, and perhaps a $10 to $20 fee for those who want to be stage-side.

This is not the first time city officials have tried to move the event out of the Castro. From 1996-2001, the city sponsored a Halloween event at Civic Center, but tens of thousands of people still flooded the Castro, doubling the work of police.

“People are still going to go to the Castro,”said Ted Strawser, founder of the San Francisco Party Party, a group that has rallied against recent crackdowns on city events and festivals. “Without services, they’re just going to pee in the street, and without entertainment, mischief will occur.”

beslinger@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocalneighborhoods

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

A San Francisco Unified School District program that gave would-be teachers extra training in the classroom has lost a key partner. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/2019 S.F. Examiner)</ins>
USF ends partnership with SFUSD in teacher residency program

District launched training effort to improve low retention rates for new hires

The Rev. Norman Fong of the Chinatown Community Development Center joined San Francisco city leaders and community partners in a “Campaign for Solidarity” at Civic Center Plaza on Saturday, Apr 17, 2021. (CraigLee/Special to the S.F. Examiner)
City launches ‘Campaign for Solidarity’ to combat racial violence

Mayor London Breed, the city’s Human Rights Commission and community leaders launched… Continue reading

It’s time to break the code of silence and end the stigmatism against infertility, which is fairly common. <ins>(Shuttterstock)</ins>
Struggles with infertility are common

We all can support friends, ask legislators to mandate sppropriate insurance

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Most Read