Employee health fund debate may go to San Francisco voters

San Francisco supervisors on Tuesday approved a change to how hundreds of businesses must provide health benefits for employees. (File photo)San Francisco supervisors on Tuesday approved a change to how hundreds of businesses must provide health benefits for employees. (File photo)

San Francisco supervisors on Tuesday approved a change to how hundreds of businesses must provide health benefits for employees. (File photo)San Francisco supervisors on Tuesday approved a change to how hundreds of businesses must provide health benefits for employees. (File photo)

After months of debate, a change to how hundreds of businesses must provide health benefits for employees was approved Tuesday despite sharp criticism it did not go far enough for workers.

Opponents of the compromise measure passed by the Board of Supervisors vowed to take the fight to the ballot box.

In one of the most intense political debates of the year, ideological battle lines were drawn over how to change the way about 900 businesses use health reimbursement accounts to comply with San Francisco’s landmark Health Care Security Ordinance.

The debate began earlier this year when it was discovered that 80 percent of the money going into these accounts, which are used by about 30 percent of businesses covered by the law, was not spent on workers’ medical costs, but went back to employers. Last year, that amounted to $50 million. The law mandates health care spending per employee per hour worked.
 
Supervisor David Campos’ legislation that would have required these employers to keep the funds accruing in the accounts in perpetuity was vetoed by Mayor Ed Lee amid pressure from business leaders who said the $50 million hit would cause layoffs and business closures.

Board of Supervisors President David Chiu offered a compromise, which was supported by Lee and approved by the board Tuesday in a 6-5 vote. The law requires employers to allow workers to accrue up to two years of health care spending and increased notification of the benefit and what it can be spent on.

While business leaders praised Tuesday’s vote, labor leaders blasted it.

“It is very sad that I am actually standing here today,” said Tim Paulson, executive director of the San Francisco Labor Council, which supported not having a limit on funds accrued in the accounts. “This is not a compromise. San Francisco is going to go backwards on health care under the watch of this Board of Supervisors.”

But Steve Falk, president of the Chamber of Commerce, said, “We fixed the key issues and we protected jobs. That sounds like a great compromise.”

The fight is far from over. Expect voters to ultimately decide this one.

“We may be losing this battle, but the war is not over,” Campos said. “This amendment does not close the loophole. We need to make sure that we take this to the voters.”

jsabatini@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsLocalSan Francisco

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Skier Andy Padlo crosses a frozen Spicer Reservoir. (Courtesy photo)
Stormy weather tests skiers’ mettle on Dardanelle traverse

Overcoming challenges makes outings more rewarding

Most Read