Election hotline jingled, but no fraud identified

S.F. Examiner File PhotoAllegation: Mayor Ed Lee’s backers in last year’s election fielded fraud accusations.

S.F. Examiner File PhotoAllegation: Mayor Ed Lee’s backers in last year’s election fielded fraud accusations.

A new phone hotline dedicated to election fraud in San Francisco apparently uncovered no major local malfeasance this campaign season.

About 20 calls came in to the dedicated line, although some of them were referred to the Department of Elections as general inquiries, District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Stephanie Ong Stillman said. She said other complaints received a “cursory look” from the District Attorney’s Office, but none warranted any major investigation or charges.

Still, voters should expect the hotline to be a mainstay of future election seasons.

“We do feel like the election fraud hotline provided a deterrent,” said Stillman, who declined to reveal the nature of any complaints. “This is an anonymous tip line. We just want to ensure the confidentiality of the reports.”

Although the most recent round of campaigning included some contentious races for the Board of Supervisors, it lacked the volume of accusations seen in the 2011 mayoral race, which included plenty of animosity over contribution laundering and phony election booths.

In October, District Attorney George Gascón said the fraud phone line was a partial response to those shenanigans, which were carried out on behalf of then-interim Mayor Ed Lee.

At the time, Lee’s campaign promptly called for a stop to such activities, with the mayor himself calling the stunts “moronic.”

In the alleged money laundering — separate accusations brought against former CitiApartments employee Andrew Hawkins and managers for the Go Lorries airport shuttle company — Lee’s campaign returned about $15,000 due to the appearance that donors had bundled together multiple $500 offerings to skirt The City’s contribution limits.

Cellphone video also showed makeshift voting booths set up by an independent expenditure committee that was stumping for Lee in Chinatown. Senior citizens were reportedly helped to fill out mail-in ballots in which the names of certain candidates and issues were obstructed by plastic stencils.

In February, Gascón filed still-pending charges against Go Lorries managers. But in September, the District Attorney’s Office said there was insufficient evidence to file criminal charges against Hawkins. Again citing insufficient evidence, Gascón’s office also decided not to file charges in the voting booth matter.

dschreiber@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsBoard of SupervisorsGeorge GasconGovernment & PoliticsLocalPolitics

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom gave an update on COVID-19 cases on Thursday Nov. 3, 2020. (Examiner screenshot)
Newsom announces statewide stay-at-home order tied to availability of hospital beds

Order will take effect in Bay Area when intensive care unit capacity falls below 15 percent

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

Most Read