Driver charged in fatal San Francisco hit-and-run

Prosecutors have filed manslaughter charges against a driver who they say was using his cellphone last week when he allegedly struck and killed a man on a street median, then fled the scene.

Juan Martinez, 23, of San Francisco is charged with vehicular manslaughter and hit-and-run resulting in death, both felonies, along with misdemeanor driving on a suspended license and an infraction of driving while using a cellphone, District Attorney’s Office spokesman Omid Talai said Wednesday.

Police were called to Cesar Chavez Street and Potrero Avenue at 8:30 a.m. Saturday and found the victim, whose name has not been released, on an island under the freeway. The car sped off after apparently driving onto the island and hitting the man, police said.

Martinez was arrested later that day, at 3 p.m., according to police.

He remains in custody and is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday afternoon, Talai said.

COVID-19 cases are on the decline in San Francisco

After a recent surge of COVID-19 cases in San Francisco caused by the omicron variant, the number of cases in…

Is City Hall’s ‘document deleting’ cause for alarm?

Mayor’s office and other departments are destroying correspondence at a rate that shocks First Amendment experts

How Jackie Speier elevated the Armenian community

‘There’s a lot of allies in Congress for the Armenian story to be told’