Demolition to begin on Bay Bridge old span

MIKE KOOZMIN/2013 S.F. EXAMINER FILE PHOTOBay Bridge officials said a suicide deterrent structure was not determined as a requirement at the time the new span design was approved.

MIKE KOOZMIN/2013 S.F. EXAMINER FILE PHOTOBay Bridge officials said a suicide deterrent structure was not determined as a requirement at the time the new span design was approved.

Since the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge opened Labor Day weekend, crews have been working to begin demolishing the former structure. The public can expect to see some sections removed starting next week.

With staging and preparation, a couple of inches of asphalt from the upper deck of the cantilever have already been removed, said Bay Bridge spokesman Andrew Gordon. Now the real demolition can begin. Within six weeks, 1,400 feet of the upper deck of the cantilever will be no more.

“There will certainly be some noise,” Gordon said. “[Crews] will be working the usual daytime hours.”

The complete dismantling is expected to take three years and total $239 million. A team of engineers used modern-day technology to map the old span’s configuration in 3-D. They determined the bridge, because it is under high tension like a bow and arrow, will have to be torn down in reverse of the way it was constructed, starting from the middle of the cantilever and working outward.

Demolition has been divided into three parts: the cantilever section and S-curve, smaller trusses and the foundation. Aside from safeguarding the Bay from toxic materials like lead paint, engineers say the meticulous process is a testament to the old span’s sophisticated design, completed eight decades ago.Andrew GordonBay Area NewsBay Bridgeold spanTransittransportation

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Agnes Liang, who will be a senior at Mission High School, is running for one of the two student representative seats on the San Francisco Unified School District Board of Education. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Turbulent year on school board leaves student delegates undeterred

Around this time last year, Shavonne Hines-Foster and Kathya Correa Almanza were… Continue reading

San Francisco police investigated the scene of a police shooting near Varney Place and Third Street on May 7. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFPD shooting may prompt new body camera rules for plainclothes cops

Police chief says incident ‘should not have happened’

Governor Gavin Newsom speaks at a news conference about a $12 billion package bolstering the state’s response to the homelessness crisis at the Kearney Vista Apartments on May 11, 2021 in San Diego, California. (K.C. Alfred/The San Diego Union-Tribune/TNS)
Newsom promises sweeping change in California’s $267-billion budget

John Myers Los Angeles Times California would embark on the most ambitious… Continue reading

Despite the pandemic, San Francisco has ended the fiscal year with a budget surplus. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Better than expected tax revenues leave city with $157.3M surplus for this year

As the fiscal year nears an end and Mayor London Breed prepares… Continue reading

Passengers board a BART train bound for the San Francisco Airport at Powell Street station. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
BART bumps up service restoration to August 30, offers fare discounts

Rail agency breaks pandemic ridership records, prepares to welcome more passengers

Most Read