Mike Koozmin/s.f. Examiner file photoDemolition of the Bay Bridge’s old span is expected to take three years.

Mike Koozmin/s.f. Examiner file photoDemolition of the Bay Bridge’s old span is expected to take three years.

Demolition kicks off on Bay Bridge old span with upper roadway

The demolition of the Bay Bridge’s old eastern span — postponed last week — is scheduled to kick off early today, starting with the removal of the upper deck roadway between the cantilever section’s two iconic peaks.

Originally scheduled for last Wednesday, the dismantling was put on hold the night before after contractors indicated the debris containment system was not completely in place.

Crews won’t be cutting any steel from the cantilever, which contains toxic lead paint, until early next year. But the project’s first phase — prying up the 1,400 feet of upper roadway motorists used to travel toward San Francisco — also requires precautions, said Bay Bridge spokesman Andrew Gordon.

“Anything might fall from the upper deck. It could be a piece of concrete, could be a piece of rebar,” Gordon said. “They want to have as little debris dropping down so it’s easier to haul the upper deck out. And on the bottom deck, there are vehicles moving back and forth.”

Demolition preparation work began immediately after the new span opened Labor Day weekend. The removal of 1,400 feet of the approximately 2,400-foot-long cantilever is expected to take six weeks.

“They’ll be using jackhammers and saws, so it’ll be noisy,” Gordon said. “It won’t be any noisier or less noisy than when people were driving on the original span and work was going on on the new span. But this work will probably be heard more than seen.”

The entire demolition is projected to take three years. The second contract will be awarded mid-2014 for the portion east of the cantilever, and the third contract for the underwater infrastructure will follow later next year.

Bay Area NewsBay Bridgecantileverold span

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

U.S. Attorney David Anderson announces federal firearms charges against two men for their roles in a March 2019 shooting outside the Fillmore Heritage Center in a news conference alongside SFPD staff at the Phillip Burton Federal Building on Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Departing U.S. attorney predicts corruption probe will continue

David Anderson shook up City Hall as top federal prosecutor

Board of Supervisors President Shamann Walton, a former school board member, has been asked to help secure an agreement between the school district and teacher’s union. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
 <ins></ins>
Supervisor Walton tapped to mediate teacher contract talks

District and union at odds over hours in-person students should be in the classroom

California is set to receive supplies of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which is still under review by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (Courtesy photo)
California could receive 380K doses of new J&J COVID vaccine next week

California could receive 380,300 doses of the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine… Continue reading

Disability advocates protested outside the home of San Francisco Health Officer Tomas Aragon. (Courtesy Brooke Anderson)
Vaccine rollout plan for people with disabilities remains deeply flawed

On February 13, disability activists paid a visit to the house of… Continue reading

A Bay Area Concrete Recycling facility that opened on PG&E property in 2019. Former PG&E employees have been accused of accepting bribes from Bay Area Concrete. (Courtesy of Bay Area Concrete Recycling via ProPublica)
Lawsuit reveals new allegations against PG&E contractor accused of fraud

By Scott Morris Bay City News Foundation Utility giant Pacific Gas &… Continue reading

Most Read