Dad guilty in shaken-baby case

A Daly City man accused of killing his 18-month-old son in a case of possible shaken-baby syndrome was found guilty Thursday of second-degree murder.

After one day of jury deliberation, Pedro Joaquin Olivas, 50, was convicted of killing his son, Fernando, in April 2004.

The defense surprisingly rested its case before putting anyone on the stand Tuesday, even after Olivas’ attorney, Scott Furstman, initially indicated that Olivas would take the stand in his own defense.

Furstman’s defense largely depended on Olivas’ explanation that Fernando fell from his bed when Olivas was not looking.

Attorneys said the boy then got up and fell again, hitting his head on a nearby heater.

On the night of the incident, Olivas had been taking care of Fernando while the child’s mother was at work at San Francisco International Airport.

Furstman said that Olivas discovered that Fernando had fallen from his high chair just days earlier. Olivas did not fully cooperate with police, Furstman said, because he wanted to protect the boy’s mother.

Throughout the trial, medical experts refuted the defense’s theory that the boy had merely fallen, noting that Fernando had retinal hemorrhaging and bruises along his limbs, signs of shaken-baby syndrome.

Deputy District Attorney Al Giannini said that Olivas’ story that Fernando fell from a bed and hit his head did not match forensic evidence.

On the night of the incident, Olivas took Fernando to Seton Medical Center in Daly City. The boy was subsequently transferred to Stanford Medical Center, where he died a few days later.

Olivas faces 15 years to life in state prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 5.

bfoley@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The City has struggled to conduct outreach in some neighborhoods as it works to expand Slow Streets — such as this section of Page Street in the Lower Haight — to underserved neighborhoods. <ins>(Jordi Molina/Special to S.F. Examiner)</ins>
SFMTA delays vote on Bayview Slow Streets, approves five others in ‘underserved’ areas

SFMTA struggles to conduct outreach in neighborhoods with lower internet access

Stern Grove Festival organizers are planning to bring back the popular summer concert series — The Isley Brothers show in 2019 is pictured — with limited audience capacity. (Ming Vong/S.F. Examiner)
Indoor shows won’t be flooding SF stages soon but Stern Grove might be back in June

While San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced that live performances may resume… Continue reading

San Francisco Giants pitcher Johnny Cueto  (47) started on Opening Day against the Colorado Rockies at Oracle Park on April 9, 2021. (Photography by Chris Victorio | Special to the S.F. Examiner).
Giants welcome fans back with strong performance by Cueto

By Ethan Kassel Special to S.F. Examiner ORACLE PARK — The first… Continue reading

James Harbor appears in court after he was arrested on charges in the July 4th shooting death of 6-year-old Jace Young on Friday, Jan. 8, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Murder case heads to trial over killing of 6-year-old Jace Young

Hearing reveals new details in ‘horrific’ Fourth of July shooting

BART passengers may see more frequent service by this fall. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
BART service increases possible as soon as September

Proposal would double weekday, daytime trains and extend system operating hours

Most Read