Crossover crash shuts down Golden Gate Bridge traffic

A man driving south on the Golden Gate Bridge sideswiped a northbound car before colliding head-on with a sport utility vehicle, leaving three people injured and closing the span for more than an hour.

It was the second crossover accident in less than two months on the world-famous span, which has only 19-inch rubber tubes 25 feet apart to divide opposing traffic.

At about 3:15 p.m. Wednesday, a man driving a four-door gray Volkswagen Passat in the far-left southbound lane drifted into northbound traffic, sideswiping another gray Passat and colliding with a silver Honda CRV just north of the bridge’s north tower.

The southbound Passat, which was possibly speeding, and the Honda were badly damaged. Two women in the Honda CRV sustained major injuries,California Highway Patrol Sgt. Trent Cross said.

It took emergency officials with power tools about 45 minutes to extricate the Honda driver, who was estimated to be about 60 years old. She was airlifted to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, according to Presidio Fire Department Chief Tony Voight.

The 13-year-old female passenger of the Honda was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, Voight said. She suffered major head injuries, according to the CHP.

The man driving the Passat involved in the head-on collision sustained moderate injuries and was being treated at Marin County General Hospital, Cross said. The man whose vehicle was sideswiped sustained no injures, Cross said.

Automobile traffic was completely shut down on the bridge until about 4:30 p.m., according to Mary Currie, spokeswoman for the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District.

Wednesday’s head-on collision brings to light a controversial issue that has hounded bridge officials for decades — the absence of a median barrier on the span.

Since 1970, there have been 36 fatalities on the Golden Gate Bridge, 16 the result of head-on collisions, Currie said. The last automobile fatality was in 2001, and the last fatality from a head-on collision came in 1988, Currie said.

“Safety is the No. 1 priority for the bridge,” Currie said. “We’re working as fast we can now that we have funding to move the median barrier project to the next level.”

On March 26, nine vehicles were involved in an accident that stemmed from a crossover collision.

Earlier this year, the bridge district received $20 million in regional funding to build the long-awaited barrier, which must be moveable to accommodate varying traffic flows for evening and morning commutes.

Currie said the bridge district will send out requests for proposals for the project in two weeks, but it should take 24 to 36 months before the barrier is installed because of the length of necessary environmental studies.

The bridge district’s board of directors first approved a conceptual plan for the median barrier in 1998, although mention of the project can be traced back to 1939, Currie said.

wreisman@sfexaminer.com

Examiner Staff Writer John Upton and wire services contributed to this report.

Bay Area NewsLocalTransittransportation

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Talika Fletcher, sister of Roger Allen, is consoled at a vigil to honor her brother, who was killed by Daly City Police on April 7, on Wednesday, April 14, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Supporters march for SF man killed by Daly City police

Struggle over fake gun ends in shooting of 44-year-old Roger Allen, DA says

Server Dragos Pintlie drops off a bay shrimp louie salad for Howard Golden at John’s Grill as indoor dining resumes on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City to allow expanded indoor dining, limited indoor concerts and small conferences

With new COVID-19 cases remaining stable, San Francisco will continue to expand… Continue reading

San Francisco Giants pitcher Johnny Cueto (47) starts against the Pittsburg Pirates at Oracle Park on September 10, 2019 in San Francisco, California. Chris Victorio | Special to the S.F. Examiner.
Cueto leaves with injury as Giants take series from Reds

A latissimus dorsi injury to Johnny Cueto cast a dark cloud over… Continue reading

Kyle and Kristin Hart shown with their children. Kyle was shot and killed by police three days after the birth of their daughter, Ellie. (Courtesy of the Hart family)
Wife of Redwood City man killed by police files federal lawsuit

Kristin Hart calls for city to improve its response to those suffering a mental health crisis

Chase Center and the Golden State Warriors hosted a media Welcome Back conference to discuss the safety protocols and amenities when fans return for a basketball game on April 23rd at Chase Center on April 13, 2021 in San Francisco, California. (Photography by Chris Victorio | Special to the S.F. Examiner).
Golden State Warriors ready to welcome fans back to Chase Center

COVID-19 tests, app-based food ordering among new safety protocols announced this week

Most Read