A 39-year-old San Francisco man accused of making threatening phone calls to the Millbrae Police Department and the U.S. District Attorney’s Office in San Francisco was declared unfit to stand trial Wednesday.
Prosecutors say that on Nov. 2 of last year, Michael McGinty allegedly made random telephone threats to Millbrae police Chief Thomas Hitchcock without any provocation.
When the case went to the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office, McGinty allegedly went on to make threats to people at the District Attorney’s Office, including Chief Inspector John Warren.
On May 15, during a court appearance, defense attorney Edward Rojas told the judge he doubted McGinty’s competency to stand trial. McGinty reacted angrily by shouting that he was not crazy and that his attorney was crazy. At that point, the court appointed two doctors to evaluate McGinty.
“Both doctors agree that he is not competent to stand trial,” said Deputy District Attorney Elizabeth Hill, who declined to detail what kind of threats McGinty allegedly made.
McGinty is facing misdemeanor charges of threatening Millbrae police and personnel at the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office, but not the U.S. Attorney’s Office in San Francisco, because it is out of the county’s jurisdiction, Hill said. Repeated calls for comment to the U.S. Attorney’s Office were not returned.
Rojas is recovering from surgery and was unavailable for comment. McGinty is in custody on $40,000 bail. He will be back in court Aug. 10 for the review of a report that will recommend what mental hospital he will stay at to restore competency. Once competency is restored, Hill said, criminal proceedings will continue.