Cosco Busan owners pay $80M to leave

Today's departure of the Cosco Busan container ship, which caused a major San Francisco Bay oil spill when it struck a tower of the Bay Bridge Nov. 7, came only after the owners posted nearly $80 million for a surety bond, the California Department of Fish and Game said.

The $79.5 million bond was posted with the U.S. government early this week and represents the value of the vessel, according to the Department of Fish and Game. It does not, however, put a cap of the damages that may be recovered for the impacts of the spill.

“Our investigation into the incident continues and will not be impeded by the vessel leaving the area,” said Fish and Game Acting Director John McCamman. “While there is no basis for the sate to retain the ship, we have the full support of Gov. Schwarzenegger in determining the cause of this tragic incident and holding the responsible party accountable for the short- and long-term damages to the wildlife and habitat resources impacted by the spill.”

The Cosco Busan met the state law that requires vessels to have a $300 million insurance policy. Additionally, claims for damages regarding oil spills in California may be made directly to the responsible party's

representatives without the need for formal litigation, according to Fish and Game.

The ship today had departed for Korea after receiving repairs to its damaged hull.

  Bay City News

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Skier Andy Padlo crosses a frozen Spicer Reservoir. (Courtesy photo)
Stormy weather tests skiers’ mettle on Dardanelle traverse

Overcoming challenges makes outings more rewarding

Most Read