Conviction for ‘brutal killing’ of dad in front of son

A man who gunned down a rival gang member in front of the victim’s 6-year-old son was convicted of second-degree murder Monday in San Francisco Superior Court.

The jury deliberated nearly three days before finding 21-year-old Marcos Campos Reyes guilty in the 2004 slaying of Luis Fuentes, according to the District Attorney’s Office. The conviction followed a two-month trial and included firearm and gang enhancements.

Prosecutors alleged Reyes, a Norteño gang member, targeted Fuentes as the 34-year-old Salvadoran immigrant walked near San Francisco General Hospital with his young son. Fuentes was involved in the rival Sureño gang, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Reyes shot Fuentes six times — once in the face, twice in the back of the head and three times in the back — on the corner of 24th and Hampshire streets, according to court documents.

Reyes was arrested less than 30 minutes after the 7:45 p.m. attack after two witnesses followed him and saw him stashing his revolver in some flower pots before running into a laundromat to hide from authorities.

“This was a brutal killing, and I thank the jury for delivering justice,” District Attorney Kamala Harris said. “Thanks to the actions of courageous witnesses, as well as the investigation by the SFPD, this killer now faces 50 years to life behind bars.”

Reyes’ sentencing date has not yet been set.

Violence between the two major Latino gangs has continued to plague The City. Last month, San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera filed a lawsuit seeking an injunction against four criminal enterprises, including the Norteños.

With an estimated 300 members in San Francisco, the nationally recognized street gang claims a large portion of the southeastern Mission district as its turf, according to the city attorney.

The proposed injunction would establish a “safety zone” north of Cesar Chavez Street between Valencia Street and Potrero Avenue.

tbarak@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Protesters turn out Sunday in San Francisco for second day in a row

“To me, it’s everyone’s breaking point,” said Chris Jackson, who handed out water to fellow demonstrators.

Businesses slam proposed COVID-19 worker rehire law as too ‘burdensome’

Supervisor Mar’s legislation would require employers to take back staff at same pay

Curfew to remain in effect Monday night in SF; dozens arrested from Sunday protests

Police chief estimates as many as 6,000 took part in demonstrations

San Francisco mayor calls in 200 law enforcement officers from California to enforce curfew

Mayor London Breed said Sunday morning that she made the request last night as first responders answered calls to dozens of fires and vandalism

Photos: San Francisco businesses clean up the damage: protesters march peacefully

Here are some images from San Francisco on Sunday as businesses began… Continue reading

Most Read