Convicted ‘wedding planner’ who failed to provide services surrenders to authorities

Courtesy of the District Attorney's OfficeStanley Kwan

Courtesy of the District Attorney's OfficeStanley Kwan

A man surrendered to authorities Wednesday after pleading no contest in April to four counts of grand theft in connection with his wedding planning business that failed to provide services clients paid for, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Stanley Kwan, 45, of San Francisco owned a wedding planning business called To Have and To Hold, which operated out of Chinatown in the early to mid-2000s, according to court records. In 2005-06, Kwan took money for services he did not provide.

Kwan was originally charged with 25 counts of grand theft and one count of conspiracy, and there are 33 victims named in the complaint. Some of the victims were vendors who were not paid.

An arrest warrant was issued for Kwan in 2009, but he was not located until July 2012 when he was arrested by Hayward police.

On April 22, Kwan pleaded no contest to four counts of grand theft in exchange for a four-year prison sentence, with two years served in prison and two years of supervised release, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Kwan turned himself in Wednesday to begin his sentence.

The total loss to the victims was more than $60,000, according to court records.

Kwan has paid $7,000 of restitution so far and is liable for the remainder.

The services Kwan was paid to supply ranged from photography, bridal dresses, tuxedos, alcohol, flowers and limousine services.

In many instances, the victims were unaware there was any problem until the day of their wedding.

District Attorney George Gascón said he was disturbed by Kwan’s actions.

“I feel awful for these victims, many of whom discovered that they’d been ripped off just before their special day,” he said.Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsSan Francisco District Attorney's OfficeStanley KwanTo Have and To Hold

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

San Francisco Sheriff candidate Paul Miyamoto in a meeting with the Examiner editorial board on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
New shelter-in-place order gives tenants a temporary reprieve from eviction

Sheriff’s Department briefly resumed regular enforcement this week

Under stay-at-home orders effective Sunday in San Francisco, outdoor dining is not allowed, and there are new limits regarding the number of people that can be indoors at essential businesses. <ins> (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Bay Area counties to shut down outdoor dining, non-essential businesses

Regional stay-at-home order to take effect Sunday, sooner than statewide order announced Thursday

Former Golden State Warriors’ Kevin Durant received his 2017-18 Championship ring at Oracle Arena in Oakland on Oct. 16, 2018. Durant, now playing with the Brooklyn Nets, will play against his former team at Chase Center in February. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Kevin Durant to face former teammates at Chase Center in February

Schedule released Friday calls for Warriors to play Christmas and New Year’s Day games

San Francisco 49ers running back Raheem Mostert’s (31) return from injury last week was key for the team’s offense. <ins>(Chris Victorio/Special to S.F. Examiner)</ins>
49ers fighting for final NFC wild-card spot in Monday’s game against the Bills

Bills at 49ers When: Monday, 5:15 p.m. Where: State Farm Stadium, Glendale,… Continue reading

The Smashing Pumpkins’ 2020 recording is the 20-song “CYR.” (Courtesy photo)
Billy Corgan continues to confound expectations

Smashing Pumpkins release retro-sounding ‘CYR’

Most Read