Community members denounce request for Mehserle retrial

Oakland community members are speaking out today against a motion by the defense team for former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle seeking a retrial for Mehserle in the 2009 shooting death of Oscar Grant.

Mehserle's defense attorney Michael Rains submitted a motion to Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Robert Perry on Friday arguing that the jury, which convicted Mehserle of involuntary manslaughter, did not have a legal basis for a conviction and that new evidence is grounds for a retrial. 

“We feel that Rains is grasping at straws,” said Cat Brooks, co-founder of ONYX, an organization that focuses on police conduct and the rights of African Americans in Oakland.

Mehserle and his attorneys maintain that the shooting was accidental, and that Mehserle had meant to use his Taser when he shot and killed Grant.

“The district attorney at our trial argued that even though there had been some prior cases of officers mistakenly shooting guns instead of Tasers, not a single one was identical to this case,” Rains said Monday.

Rains claims the defense team has since discovered a similar case in Kentucky in which an officer mistakenly shot a suspect with his service weapon instead of a Taser. He argues that the discovery is grounds for a new trial.

“We're not surprised,” Grant's uncle, Cephus Johnson, said today of Rains' motion.

Johnson said the Grant family had hoped for a second-degree murder verdict and that he considered the involuntary manslaughter verdict “a slap in the face” to the family.

Johnson pointed out that the jury reached a decision in less than seven hours.

“If they had really debated the issue, it would've taken much longer than that,” he said.

Johnson said there are many differences between the Kentucky case and Grant's shooting.

“It's like comparing apples and oranges,” Johnson said.

Mehserle is scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 5 for sentencing, at which time Perry could rule on the motion for the retrial.

“Our hope is that Judge Perry does the right thing,” Johnson said.

ONYX is holding a news conference this afternoon, along with the General Assembly for Justice for Oscar Grant, the New Years Movement and the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, to publicly denounce the retrial request.

“Our first concern is that justice gets served,” Brooks said.

Speakers at the news conference will include Jack Bryson, the father of Jackie Bryson, who was on the Fruitvale BART station platform when Grant was shot, and The Rev. Keith Muhammad.

The news conference will take place at 3 p.m. at Oakland City Hall, 1 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Oakland.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Anti-eviction demonstrators rally outside San Francisco Superior Court. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Report: Unpaid rent due to COVID-19 could be up to $32.7M per month

A new city report that attempts to quantify how much rent has… Continue reading

Music venues around The City have largely been unable to reopen due to ongoing pandemic health orders. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF to cut $2.5M in fees to help 300 nightlife venues

San Francisco will cut $2.5 million in fees for hundreds of entertainment… Continue reading

Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett departs the U.S. Capitol on October 21, 2020 in Washington, DC. President Donald Trump nominated Barrett to replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg after Ginsburg’s death. (Photo by Stefani Reynolds/Getty Images)
GOP senators confirm Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court in partisan vote

By Jennifer Haberkorn Los Angeles Times The Senate on Monday confirmed Judge… Continue reading

Curator Tim Burgard looks over a section of the galleries comprising “The de Young Open,” a huge, varied collection of work by Bay Area artists. (Photo courtesy Gary Sexton/Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco)
Bay Area artists jam-pack vivid ‘de Young Open’

Huge exhibition — with works for sale — showcases diversity, supports community

SF Board of Education vice president Gabriela Lopez and commissioner Alison Collins listen at a news conference condemning recent racist and social media attacks targeted at them and the two student representatives on Monday, Oct. 26, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Online attacks on school board members denounced by city officials

City officials on Monday condemned the targeting of school board members, both… Continue reading

Most Read