The charges have been dropped against a 14-year-old boy standing trial in the stabbing death of another juvenile that occurred last year in the Mission district.
The San Francisco District Attorney’s Office dropped the charges Tuesday morning in Juvenile Court, according to Public Defender Jeff Adachi, whose office released video footage last month showing what appeared to be another person stabbing Rashawn Williams outside a Mission district corner store Sept. 2.
“Given all the evidence, charges have been dropped at this time,” Alex Bastain, District Attorney’s Office spokesman, said about the case.
The case remains under investigation and no other suspect has been arrested.
The killing of Williams might have fallen on the shoulders of an innocent 14-year-old who for more than six months has been in custody and was painted by many as a murderer, said Adachi. The teenager, who was a former classmate of Williams’ at Horace Mann Middle School, was arrested the day after the incident.
“If the police had properly investigated this case they could have discovered that our client was not the person who did the crime,” said Adachi.
One of his office’s investigators found the video of the crime along with additional still footage from several blocks away, all of which exonerated the original suspect, said Adachi.