Courtesy South San FranciscoA new Caltrain station in South San Francisco is scheduled to be ready in 2019.

Caltrain service halted after death on tracks

Normal Caltrain service is resuming following a death on the tracks earlier this afternoon, a Caltrain spokeswoman said.

A man was struck and killed by southbound train No. 146 near Bragato Road, just north of the San Carlos border in Belmont, at 12:55 p.m., transit agency spokeswoman Christine Dunn said. She said there is no vehicle or pedestrian crossing at that spot.

About 125 passengers were on board the train when the incident took place, but none were injured, she said.

Trains were initially stopped in both directions, then allowed to pass through slowly by single-tracking on the northbound tracks.

The southbound tracks have since been reopened and service is getting back to normal, Dunn said at 2:45 p.m.

A bus bridge had been set up to accommodate the affected passengers but it has since been canceled.

The circumstances of the death remain under investigation, and the man's name has not yet been released.

Just Posted

Mayor, supervisors reach consensus on plan to fix SF’s mental health system

Both parties agree to drop ballot measures and pursue reform with legislation.

Treasure Island residents could get a break on tolls

New proposal would exempt current occupants from congestion pricing for at least six years

Supreme Court to weigh fate of DACA program

The U.S. Supreme Court is set to hear arguments Tuesday on whether… Continue reading

BART police call for ‘apology’ from board member who joined protest over sandwich citation

First came the sandwich, then came the fury. Shortly after BART General… Continue reading

Chinatown robbery prompts silent protest condemning violence against seniors

The attack injured three men in their 60s and was captured on video

Most Read