Caltrain gets few comments on fare increase proposals

Proposed Caltrain fare increases have not generated much public comment, but the public will have another opportunity to speak up at a hearing Thursday in San Carlos, Caltrain officials said.

“There has been a very small turnout of people,” Caltrain spokesperson Christine Dunn said of three community meetings held on the fare increases last week.

“People seem to understand the reason we are considering a fare hike. It doesn't seem to be generating too much interest,” she said.

Two fare increase proposals are being considered to offset higher fuel costs. One is an increase of 25 cents to Caltrain's base fare, and the other is a 25-cent base fare increase plus an additional 25-cent increase in the per-zone fare.

Under the first proposal, the base fare would go up from $2.25 to $2.50, while fares for traveling between Caltrain's six zones would remain unaffected.

Under the second proposal, the fare to travel from one zone to another would also increase, from $1.75 to $2.

The fare increases would take effect Jan. 1.

Dunn said that at the most recent community meeting, held in San Francisco, the two members of the public who attended were split in their opinions of the increases.

“One person is opposed to the increase,” she said. “The other one was OK with the smaller increase, and OK with the larger increase if there would not be another (increase) too soon.”

Of the total 20 comments received, four of which were received at public meetings, nine opposed any fare increase and three were related to other issues.

The public hearing on the fare increases is 11 a.m. Thursday at Caltrain's central office in San Carlos, 1250 San Carlos Ave.

The decision on the fare increases will be made at October's board meeting, Dunn said.

Bay City News

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Mayor London Breed said Tuesday that with other counties moving ahead with expanding vaccine eligibility “we want San Franciscans to have the same opportunity.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Everyone in SF ages 16 and up is now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine

San Francisco expanded eligibility for the COVID-19 vaccine Tuesday to everyone ages… Continue reading

Chase Center and the Golden State Warriors hosted a media Welcome Back conference to discuss the safety protocols and amenities when fans return for a basketball game on April 23rd at Chase Center on April 13, 2021 in San Francisco, California. (Photography by Chris Victorio | Special to the S.F. Examiner).
Golden State Warriors ready to welcome fans back to Chase Center

COVID-19 tests, app-based food ordering among new safety protocols announced this week

San Francisco Park Rangers have seen their budget and staffing levels increase significantly since 2014. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Citations for being in SF’s public parks after midnight soar

Data shows disproportionate impact on Black residents

Parents and students line up socially distanced before the first day of in-person learning at Bret Harte Elementary School on Monday, April 12, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
‘It’s a beautiful sight’: The first students return to the classroom

San Francisco’s youngest public school students stepped into classrooms for in-person learning… Continue reading

File
Latest Breed nominee for Police Commission moves forward

Immigration attorney Jim Byrne clears Board of Supervisors committee

Most Read