Cabbie pleads not guilty to rape, requests speedy trial

A cabdriver accused of raping a San Carlos bar patron last month pleaded not guilty to nine felony charges and put his case on the fast track to trial.

Jose Anenias Ramirez, 36, surprised his attorney Wednesday by telling Commissioner Stephanie Garratt he was invoking his right to a speedy trial.

“Something has obviously changed overnight,” defense attorney Leland Davis III said.

Ramirez faces life in prison if convicted of all of the charges.

Garratt set Ramirez’s preliminary hearing for April 2. The fast-tracking of the case means prosecutors must turn over all evidence in the case within the next 10 days, including surveillance footage and taped interviews from witnesses.

Outside court, Davis said he suspects Ramirez got some last-minute legal advice from another inmate in San Mateo County Jail.

Ramirez is facing a count of kidnapping with intent to commit rape, which carries a possible life sentence. He is also charged with three counts of rape of an intoxicated person, three counts of rape of an unconscious person, a count of oral copulation with an intoxicated person and a count of oral copulation with an unconscious person.

Prosecutors say the victim spent the evening of Feb. 21 drinking at Clooney’s Bar in San Carlos before two women saw she was intoxicated and called her a taxi. Instead of driving the woman home, however, prosecutors allege Ramirez took her to his Redwood City home, where he repeatedly assaulted her.

Ramirez claims the woman was conscious and consenting, according to Davis.

Ramirez’s friend and landlord Rina Deras said she was shocked. She described Ramirez as a happy, hardworking man who tried to persuade her to attend his church. The El Salvador native had started a taxi company four months earlier, Deras said.

Deputy District Attorney Aaron Fitzgerald said he’s confident he will be able to prove the case against Ramirez in court.

“We have a particularly vulnerable victim in the case. We take it extremely seriously,” he said.

tbarak@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Temporary high-occupancy vehicle lanes will be added to sections of state Highway 1 and U.S. Highway 101 through The City including Park Presidio Boulevard to help keep transit flowing as traffic increases. (Photo by Ekevara Kitpowsong/Special to S.F. Examiner)
Transit and high-occupancy vehicle lanes coming to some of The City’s busiest streets

Changes intended to improve transit reliability as traffic increases with reopening

Tents fill up a new safe camping site in a former parking lot at 180 Jones St. in the Tenderloin on Thursday, June 11, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Proposal for major expansion of safe sleeping sites gets cool reception in committee

Supervisor Mandelman calls for creation of more temporary shelter sites to get homeless off streets

Demonstrators commemorated the life of George Floyd and others killed by police outside S.F. City Hall on June 1, 2020.<ins></ins>
Chauvin verdict: SF reacts after jury finds ex-officer guilty on all charges

San Franciscans were relieved Tuesday after jurors found a former Minneapolis police… Continue reading

San Francisco Unified School District Board member Faauuga Moliga, right, pictured with Superintendent Vincent Matthews on the first day back to classrooms, will be board vice president for the remander of the 2121 term. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Faauuga Moliga named as school board vice president to replace Alison Collins

The San Francisco school board on Tuesday selected board member Fauuga Moliga… Continue reading

Legislation by Supervisor Rafael Mandelman would require The City to add enough new safe camping sites, such as this one at 180 Jones St. in the Tenderloin, to accomodate everyone living on the street. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City would create sites for hundreds of tents under new homeless shelter proposal

Advocates say funding better spent on permanent housing

Most Read