A man accused of sexually assaulting a 99-year-old woman inside her apartment in San Francisco’s Chinatown appeared in court for the first time on Thursday.
Teandre Howard-Kidd, a 26-year-old Bay Area native and maintenance worker, pleaded not guilty to three felony charges in connection with the attack at the Ping Yuen housing project on New Year’s Eve.
Prosecutors detailed the sexual assault in court records filed Thursday.
Court records filed by prosecutors Thursday said the attack began when the Howard-Kidd knocked on the victim’s door and pushed his way into her home. The suspect allegedly washed his hands in the bathroom before laying on her bed, taking off his pants and exposing himself to her.
Prosecutors say he then took off the elderly woman’s pants and pushed himself onto her. But the victim swatted him away and told him “her bones hurt and that she could not do it,” according to court records.
Police arrested Howard-Kidd in the Tenderloin the next day after officers recognized him from surveillance stills of the suspect entering the apartment wearing a blue vest and black and white striped pants.
Prosecutors say Howard-Kidd was dressed in the same clothing at the time of the arrest.
The District Attorney’s Office has since charged Howard-Kidd with first-degree burglary with intent to commit sexual assault, residential burglary and elder abuse. He faces up to life in prison for the first count alone.
At the Hall of Justice, Howard-Kidd walked into the courtroom of Superior Court Judge Raymond Arata in handcuffs and an orange sweatsuit.
Arata ordered him to stay away from the victim and the housing project. The judge also set his bail at $200,000, “knowing that he is not likely to make that.”
Arata made his decision after Deputy Public Defender Mark Jacobs asked that Howard-Kidd be released from County Jail without bail, or that cash bail be set at a relatively low $10,000.
“He’s not penniless but he has very little money,” Jacobs said in court.
Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Frost had urged Arata to hold Howard-Kidd without bail, or to set bail at $1 million, citing the “egregious” nature of the case.
Frost said Howard-Kidd has previously been convicted of illegal gun possession and is currently on probation from Alameda County for vehicle theft.
Jacobs left the courtroom without commenting to reporters. He did not return a call seeking comment.
Howard-Kidd defended himself in an interview with police, prosecutors said in court records.
He allegedly told police he had met the victim twice before. He claimed she told him, “You got me getting horny.”
He also denied exposing himself or pulling down her pants.
But the suspect also admitted to entering and exiting the building by climbing over a wall, according to prosecutors. He said it was because of construction at the front of the building.