BART board delays vote on cellphone shutdown policy

AP file photoAP file photo

AP file photoAP file photo

BART’s board of directors opted to delay action Thursday on a policy that would have set guidelines for when the agency could shut down cellphone service.

Several BART directors expressed concern about the language of the proposed cellphone shutdown policy.

During an August meeting, the group made an unofficial declaration that the agency should only shut down service in the event of extraordinary events, such as terrorists attacks. The wording in the resolution up for vote on Thursday left too much room for interpretation, according to several board members.

BART general manager Grace Crunican and her staff said they would reword the resolution to clear up any confusing passages and bring it back to the BART board in a few weeks.

BART has faced international scrutiny and criticism since its decision on Aug. 11 to shut down cellphone service in four San Francisco stations as a means to prevent a planned protest. Demonstrators had been planning an event that day to protest the shooting of 45-year-old Charles Hill by BART police officers.

wreisman@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsLocalSan Franciscotransportation

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Agnes Liang, who will be a senior at Mission High School, is running for one of the two student representative seats on the San Francisco Unified School District Board of Education. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Turbulent year on school board leaves student delegates undeterred

Around this time last year, Shavonne Hines-Foster and Kathya Correa Almanza were… Continue reading

(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Three people killed in SF shootings in less than 24 hours

San Francisco police were scrambling Saturday to respond to a series of… Continue reading

Muni operator Angel Carvajal drives the popular boat tram following a news conference celebrating the return of the historic F-line and subway service on Friday, May 14, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Mayor, transit officials celebrate return of Muni service

Mayor London Breed and city transit officials gathered Friday to welcome the… Continue reading

San Francisco police investigated the scene of a police shooting near Varney Place and Third Street on May 7. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFPD shooting may prompt new body camera rules for plainclothes cops

Police chief says incident ‘should not have happened’

Governor Gavin Newsom speaks at a news conference about a $12 billion package bolstering the state’s response to the homelessness crisis at the Kearney Vista Apartments on May 11, 2021 in San Diego, California. (K.C. Alfred/The San Diego Union-Tribune/TNS)
Newsom promises sweeping change in California’s $267-billion budget

John Myers Los Angeles Times California would embark on the most ambitious… Continue reading

Most Read