Aunt of 2-year-old killed in hit-and-run to return to court

Jessica Christian/Special to The S.F. ExaminerA memorial at Mission Street between Fourth and Fifth for 2-year-old Mi'yana Gregory who was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver while crossing the street with family members.

Jessica Christian/Special to The S.F. ExaminerA memorial at Mission Street between Fourth and Fifth for 2-year-old Mi'yana Gregory who was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver while crossing the street with family members.

The aunt of a 2-year-old girl who was killed in a hit-and-run Aug. 15 in The City’s South of Market area will be back in court Thursday for a prehearing conference, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Lorysha Gage, 25, of San Francisco faces a charge of felony child endangerment in the death of her niece, Mi’yana Gregory, who was in her care at the time of the collision. Gage pleaded not guilty to the charge Thursday during tearful testimony in court at her arraignment.

Prosecutors allege that about 10:30 p.m., Gage and Mi’yana along with Mi’yana’s twin brother were attempting to cross Mission Street between Fourth and Fifth streets against the light in the crosswalk. Gage reportedly walked Mi’yana halfway across the street and left her there to go back to the sidewalk and get the twin brother, prosecutors said. It was then that Mi’yana was struck.

The vehicle, which had a green light, has still not been found. It is described as a mid-1990s model white, four-door sedan that could be a Toyota Camry, a Honda or a Lexus, according to police. The bumper reportedly did not match the rest of the car, being described as dark-colored. The car also is believed to have dark rims.

Gage was reportedly trembling and sobbing during her arraignment.

Mi’yana’s family seem to be divided on Gage’s responsibility in the accident. Members on the father’s side seem to believe that Gage was at fault and should be held accountable for her actions. Members on the mother’s side seem to place all blame squarely on the hit-and-run driver who is still at large.

Mi’yana’s funeral is being held today, and the family has started a fundraising website to help pay for the arrangements.

Gage remains in custody on $50,000 bail and will return to court Thursday for a prehearing conference. Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for Sept. 3.

Two arrested in pot grow are set for arraignment

Two people arrested for allegedly running a volatile marijuana cultivation operation using stolen electricity will be in court Wednesday for arraignment, according to Assistant District Attorney Alex Bastian.

Alexander Lioulios, 33, and Lauren Todd, 26, both of San Francisco, face felony charges of marijuana cultivation, two counts of possession of marijuana for sale, theft of utility services and two counts of operating a drug den, prosecutors said. Todd faces an additional felony charge of possession of pills for sale.

The two were arrested Aug. 7 in their residence in the 100 block of Molino Drive near Mount Davidson.

After gaining access to the residence, investigators discovered they were allegedly operating a “butane honey oil lab,” which can be an explosive way to extract concentrated cannabis oil from marijuana leaves. Investigators also allege the two were running the operation with stolen power.

They remain in custody, according to the Sheriff’s Department. Lioulios is currently being held on $180,000 bail and Todd is being held on $133,000 bail.

Hit-and-run joyride suspect back in court for hearing

A 21-year-old man arrested in connection with stealing a construction vehicle from a Lower Haight worksite and smashing it into several other cars throughout The City before being tackled by San Francisco firefighters will be back in court Tuesday for a preliminary hearing, Bastian said.

Tyrell Duncan faces felony counts of unlawful taking of a vehicle and evading arrest, three counts of misdemeanor hit-and-run and a misdemeanor count of possession of drug paraphernalia.

He’s accused of stealing the vehicle July 30 and going on a raucous joyride where he smashed into cars in a car wash parking lot before abandoning the car at City Hall.

After reportedly attempting to flee on foot, firefighters tackled him to the ground.

Duncan pleaded not guilty to the charges Aug. 1 and will be back in court to set a preliminary hearing Tuesday at 9 a.m., Bastian said.

He remains in custody on $200,100 bail.Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLorysha GageMi'Yana GregorySan Francisco District Attorney's Office

Just Posted

The Hotel Whitcomb on Market Street was one of many hotels that took in homeless people as part of The City’s shelter-in-place hotel program during the pandemic.<ins> (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)</ins>
Closing hotels could disconnect hundreds from critical health care services

‘That baseline of humanity and dignity goes a long way’

Pachama, a Bay Area startup, is using technology to study forests and harness the carbon-consuming power of trees. (Courtesy Agustina Perretta/Pachama)
Golden Gate Park visitors may take a survey about options regarding private car access on John F. Kennedy Drive, which has been the subject of controversy during the pandemic.<ins> (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Your chance to weigh in: Should JFK remain closed to cars?

Host of mobility improvements for Golden Gate Park proposed

San Francisco supervisors are considering plans to replace trash cans — a “Renaissance” garbage can is pictured on Market Street — with pricey, unnecessary upgrades. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
San Francisco must end ridiculous and expensive quest for ‘pretty’ trash cans

SF’s unique and pricey garbage bins a dream of disgraced former Public Works director

Dreamforce returned to San Francisco in person this week – but with a tiny sliver of past attendance. (Courtesy Salesforce)
Dreamforce returns with hundreds on hand, down from 170,000 in the past

High hopes for a larger Salesforce conference shriveled during the summer

Most Read