At least 10 shot at massive Halloween street party in Castro

Gunfire broke out between two groups at a massive Halloween street party in the city's Castro district, wounding at least 10 people, including innocent bystanders, police said Wednesday.

The shooting began around 10:40 p.m. Tuesday as authorities were dispersing thousands of revelers under a curfew aimed at controlling the traditionally raucous party.

Two people were detained for questioning, but no one had been arrested early Wednesday, police Capt. Al Casciato said. He said two groups of people had gotten into an altercation when the shooting began.

One victim was listed in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital.

The once-spontaneous and unsanctioned party was taken over by the city four years ago after police recorded five stabbings and a number of assaults in a 2002 crowd of 500,000 people and confiscated a chain saw.

Officials and members of the district's large gay community said the party had started attracting gay bashers along with the usual colorfully costumed characters.

On Tuesday night, city officials ramped up the police presence, reduced the number of entertainment stages from three to one and cut off the festivities at 11 p.m.

“We had the sheriff's department screening people for weapons and alcohol. Obviously you have a major event – a lot of different spots” to patrol, said police spokesman Neville Gittens said. “I can't explain how this happened. Unfortunately it did happen, and we are investigating to find out who is the cause of the shooting.”

Ted Morales, 43, said he was working as a volunteer security guard for the event when he “heard someone empty their gun” in the crowd.

“When the shooting happened, people just dove to the ground like a wall of water,” said Morales, who did not see what led up to the shooting. A woman standing near him was grazed in the neck by a bullet, he said.

Sophia Vlahiotis, who owns Capri Ristorante Pizza just yards from the scene, was outside selling pizzas when a crowd of people fleeing the bullets began running in her direction.

“They pushed the table over, the oven fell and then I realized it was gunshots,” she said. “They were trying to get into the restaurant, there were so many people.”

Vlahiotis, who did not see what led up to the shooting, said this year may be her last participating in the Halloween party.

“I'm stillshaking,” she said. “I don't know if I want to do this again. It's not worth my life.”

In another Bay Area shooting, two people were injured when up to 30 shots were fired during a Halloween party in Crockett late Tuesday, Contra Costa Sheriff's Sgt. Dan Gomez said. Both victims were struck in the upper body, but their injuries were not life-threatening, he said.

In downtown Santa Cruz, one man and a 14-year-old boy were stabbed during a celebration that attracted about 15,000 revelers, police said. Both victims were flown to trauma centers for their injuries, according to Santa Cruz police spokesman Zach Friend. The stabbings appeared to involve gangs.

A gunman also opened fire early Wednesday in a crowded Southern California bar where patrons were celebrating Halloween, wounding two people, police said. The apparent target was hit several times in the chest and legs, and a woman was shot in the buttocks, West Covina Police Lt. Pete Mena said. The injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

Mayor Gavin Newsom said this week that if the pared-down Halloween celebration with an increase in security personnel did not calm the event down, The City would be forced to explore the possibility of canceling the celebration next year.

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Indoor dining at John’s Grill. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
State’s mask mandate to continue until June 15 reopening despite CDC guidance

By Eli Walsh Bay City News Foundation California will wait until next… Continue reading

A Caltrans worker uses heavy equipment to take down an empty tent as homeless residents of a parking lot underneath Interstate 80 are forced to relocate on Monday, May 17, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Encampment that included longtime parking lot renters removed by Caltrans

Some 50 people living in a parking lot under a San Francisco… Continue reading

A cyclist heads past an artistic sign onto Page Street, a Slow Street, at Stanyan Street near Golden Gate Park on Monday, April 12, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Push to make street closures permanent meets with resistance

Hastily thrown together during the pandemic, Slow Streets program now struggles to build support

Agnes Liang, who will be a senior at Mission High School, is running for one of the two student representative seats on the San Francisco Unified School District Board of Education. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Turbulent year on school board leaves student delegates undeterred

Around this time last year, Shavonne Hines-Foster and Kathya Correa Almanza were… Continue reading

(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Three people killed in SF shootings in less than 24 hours

San Francisco police were scrambling Saturday to respond to a series of… Continue reading

Most Read