Asian restaurant robbery suspect had 1-way ticket to Miami

A suspect in a string of armed robberies at Asian restaurants in Oakland, San Leandro, Berkeley and Albany was arrested one day before he was cheduled to fly to Miami, Oakland police said today.

“If we'd been half a beat behind we would have missed him,” Oakland police spokesman Roland Holmgren said after announcing the arrest of 19-year-old Lance Lindquist, who's originally from Florida but recently has been living in Oakland.

Sgt. Rebecca Campbell said police received “a whole bunch of phone calls” after they held a news conference on Dec. 21 announcing a reward of up to $25,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of two or three suspects they believe are responsible for a series of armed robberies at Asian restaurants in Oakland and surrounding cities.

Campbell said one lead was “very important” and led to the arrest of Lindquist on Sunday.

Police discovered that Lindquist had a one-way ticket to fly to Miami on Monday, Holmgren said.

Lindquist subsequently confessed to being involved in a string of robberies dating back to August and was charged on Dec. 26 with 57 counts of robbery, Campbell said. He's scheduled to return to Alameda County Superior Court on Jan. 3.

A search warrant that was served at Lindquist's house yielded evidence that linked him to the robberies, she said, although she declined to release any details.

Campbell said the number of counts against Lindquist is “a very large number” and is “unbelievably large,” but she explained that prosecutors were able to charge him with so many counts because there were multiple victims in each armed robbery.

Campbell said police have identified a second suspect in the robberies but aren't releasing his name at this point because many of the robbery victims are out of town for the holidays and they haven't yet been able to conduct a photo lineup and confirm that he's the culprit.

The second suspect therefore is still at large, she said. It's possible that there's also a third suspect that's also at large, Campbell said.

She called for anyone with additional information about Lindquist and the other suspects to come forward and talk to the police.

Campbell described the incidents as takeover robberies in which suspects armed with a long gun known as a “Tommy Gun” and pistols robbed the cash registers at the restaurants as well as restaurant customers.

No one was injured in any of the incidents and no shots were fired, she said.

Campbell said Lindquist is charged in a total of 10 robberies, including seven in Oakland.

Shesaid Lindquist told her that he targeted Asian restaurants because they had a lot of customers.

Holmgren said Lindquist has previously arrested for several other incidents, including some thefts and acts of violence, including an assault on a police officer earlier this year.

Campbell said the person who gave the tip that led to Lindquist's arrest is in line for a reward if Lindquist is convicted and additional rewards could be handed if more people come forward with tips about the other suspects in the robberies.

Bay City News

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Demonstrators commemorated the life of George Floyd and others killed by police outside S.F. City Hall on June 1, 2020.<ins></ins>
Chauvin verdict: SF reacts after jury finds ex-officer guilty on all charges

San Franciscans were relieved Tuesday after jurors found a former Minneapolis police… Continue reading

San Francisco Unified School District Board member Faauuga Moliga, right, pictured with Superintendent Vincent Matthews on the first day back to classrooms, will be board vice president for the remander of the 2121 term. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Faauuga Moliga named as school board vice president to replace Alison Collins

The San Francisco school board on Tuesday selected board member Fauuga Moliga… Continue reading

Legislation by Supervisor Rafael Mandelman would require The City to add enough new safe camping sites, such as this one at 180 Jones St. in the Tenderloin, to accomodate everyone living on the street. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City would create sites for hundreds of tents under new homeless shelter proposal

Advocates say funding better spent on permanent housing

An instructor at Sava Pool teaches children drowning prevention techniques. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Indoor city pools reopen for lap swimming and safety classes

Two of San Francisco’s indoor city pools reopened Tuesday, marking another step… Continue reading

A construction worker rides on top of materials being transported out of the Twin Peaks Tunnel as work continues at West Portal Station on Thursday, August 16, 2018. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA’s poor track record on capital projects risks losing ‘public trust’

Supervisors say cost overruns and delays could jeapordize future ballot revenue measures

Most Read