The arraignment of two homeless people arrested and charged in connection with the fatal stabbing of construction worker last week has been delayed until Thursday, according to the District Attorney’s Office.
Lizette Cauich, 23, and Oscar Mendez, 43, were both set to appear in San Francisco Superior Court on Tuesday for their arraignment, but since they did not appear no pleas were entered.
According to the complaint, Cauich has been charged with murder and attempted robbery for the death of Mitzi Campbell, 58, near a South of Market construction site Campbell had been working at. Mendez has been charged with accessory, carrying a dirk or dagger, possession of methamphetamine, possession of stolen property and providing false information.
The pair are also alleged to have been involved in another stabbing May 29 in the Tenderloin and have been charged for their role in that incident as well. In that case, both have been charged with attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and battery causing serious bodily injury.
Both remain in County Jail; Cauich’s bail is $10 million. Mendez’s was set at $5 million.
Campbell’s family came to the courthouse Tuesday for the arraignment and showed reporters pictures of Campbell, and said they plan to attend every court hearing.
Cauich and Mendez, both Los Angeles residents, were arrested Friday in connection with the fatal stabbing.
Campbell, a San Francisco resident, was working at a construction site on Shipley Street, an alley between Harrison and Folsom streets, on Friday morning when she had an argument with a man and a woman there, police said.
The argument was over whether the two could use an outhouse on the site.
Campbell escorted the pair away from the site, but when she didn’t come back right away, her co-workers went looking for her around 9:30 a.m. and found her stabbed, police said.
Bay City News Service contributed to this report.