Alleged wife-slayer’s ex-girlfriend to take the stand

Against the advice of her attorney, the former mistress of accused wife-killer Quincy Norton will take the stand this morning as a witness for the defense.

Anitra Johnson has emerged as one of the key pieces to the case after a routine DNA test at the eve of trial revealed her biological material on a knife blade inside the Nortons’ Daly City kitchen.

Norton, 33, is charged with first-degree murder in the July 22, 2006, stabbing death of Tamika Mack Norton, 31. Prosecutors have told jurors that Norton was a batterer who killed his wife after she filed for divorce.

Defense attorney Patricia Fox contends that the blade with Johnson’s DNA is the murder weapon. Prosecution witnesses testified last week, however, that the biological material was instead found on another knife in the kitchen that did not match Tamika Norton’s wounds.

Johnson took the stand briefly on Tuesday outside the presence of jurors as Judge Craig Parsons asked her if she planned to invoke her Fifth Amendment right, which protects against self-incrimination.

The South Bay resident fell silent for a full minute before telling the judge she would testify. Her attorney, Michael DeVoy, told Parsons he had strongly advised her against testifying.

Outside of court, Johnson said she defied her attorney’s advice in the hopes she can offer information that has been left out of the case. Johnson said she believes Norton is innocent, and that rivals he made “hanging out in the streets” may have killed his wife. “He may have not been the most honest husband, but that doesn’t make him a murderer,” Johnson said.

Johnson, who has a 7-year-old daughter with Norton, was originally charged with aiding and abetting Norton when he was on the lam after Tamika Norton’s death. Those charges were later dropped.

The DNA revelation and trial publicity has made life difficult for her and her four children, Johnson said. Relatives she hasn’t heard from in years are calling her, and coworkers at her administrative job bring in newspaper coverage that implies she is the real killer, she said.

“I wake up every day and say, ‘Is this nightmare over?” she asked.

tbarak@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Temporary high-occupancy vehicle lanes will be added to sections of state Highway 1 and U.S. Highway 101 through The City including Park Presidio Boulevard to help keep transit flowing as traffic increases. (Photo by Ekevara Kitpowsong/Special to S.F. Examiner)
Transit and high-occupancy vehicle lanes coming to some of The City’s busiest streets

Changes intended to improve transit reliability as traffic increases with reopening

Tents fill up a new safe camping site in a former parking lot at 180 Jones St. in the Tenderloin on Thursday, June 11, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Proposal for major expansion of safe sleeping sites gets cool reception in committee

Supervisor Mandelman calls for creation of more temporary shelter sites to get homeless off streets

Demonstrators commemorated the life of George Floyd and others killed by police outside S.F. City Hall on June 1, 2020.<ins></ins>
Chauvin verdict: SF reacts after jury finds ex-officer guilty on all charges

San Franciscans were relieved Tuesday after jurors found a former Minneapolis police… Continue reading

San Francisco Unified School District Board member Faauuga Moliga, right, pictured with Superintendent Vincent Matthews on the first day back to classrooms, will be board vice president for the remander of the 2121 term. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Faauuga Moliga named as school board vice president to replace Alison Collins

The San Francisco school board on Tuesday selected board member Fauuga Moliga… Continue reading

Legislation by Supervisor Rafael Mandelman would require The City to add enough new safe camping sites, such as this one at 180 Jones St. in the Tenderloin, to accomodate everyone living on the street. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City would create sites for hundreds of tents under new homeless shelter proposal

Advocates say funding better spent on permanent housing

Most Read