Alleged Hillsdale High bomber set to stand trial; cops honored for valor in incident

Doctors say a teenager accused of targeting staff and students in a bomb attack at Hillsdale High School last year is mentally able to stand trial.

Alexander Youshock, 18, is accused of entering his former high school with 10 pipe bombs strapped to a vest, a 2-foot sword and a chain saw. His intent was to kill as many people as possible, according to San Mateo police.

He allegedly exploded two bombs, causing minor damage but no injuries, before being tackled by 34-year-old teacher Kennet Santana. The teen had not attended Hillsdale High since June 2008.

In December, Youshock’s attorney expressed doubt regarding his client’s competency to stand trial and two doctors were assigned to evaluate the teen.

On Monday, the court found Youshock competent to stand trial, San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.
Criminal proceedings will resume with a jury trial Jan. 31 and a pretrial conference Dec. 7, Wagstaffe said.

San Mateo cops earn honors

San Mateo police officers were honored Tuesday for their swift and brave actions Aug. 24, 2009, when a teenager armed with homemade explosives unsuccessfully plotted to kill at Hillsdale High School.

A retired San Mateo police captain and three officers each received the Public Safety Officer Medal of Valor in Sacramento.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Attorney General Jerry Brown awarded 10 officers statewide for being “real-life action heroes.”

The San Mateo Police Department honorees included retired Capt. Kevin Raffaelli and officers Rick Apecechea, Jeff Dellinges and Roberto Gonzalez.

When reports came in of shots fired and a possible explosion at Hillsdale High, Apecechea responded and rushed to the aid of school faculty, who were holding a teen suspect on the ground, according to a report from the Attorney General’s Office.

He handcuffed the suspect, then-17-year-old Alexander Youshock, and discovered Youshock was wearing a tactical vest with pipe bombs.

That happened just as Raffaelli, Dellinges and Gonzalez arrived to assist. Raffaelli cut the tactical vest from the suspect’s body. Apecechea, Dellinges and Gonzalez then lifted the suspect, removed the vest and took him to a patrol car while Raffaelli secured the vest and the bombs, authorities said.

All 10 bombs were live and capable of causing lethal injuries.

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLocalNEP

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Anti-eviction demonstrators rally outside San Francisco Superior Court. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Report: Unpaid rent due to COVID-19 could be up to $32.7M per month

A new city report that attempts to quantify how much rent has… Continue reading

Music venues around The City have largely been unable to reopen due to ongoing pandemic health orders. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF to cut $2.5M in fees to help 300 nightlife venues

San Francisco will cut $2.5 million in fees for hundreds of entertainment… Continue reading

Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett departs the U.S. Capitol on October 21, 2020 in Washington, DC. President Donald Trump nominated Barrett to replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg after Ginsburg’s death. (Photo by Stefani Reynolds/Getty Images)
GOP senators confirm Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court in partisan vote

By Jennifer Haberkorn Los Angeles Times The Senate on Monday confirmed Judge… Continue reading

Curator Tim Burgard looks over a section of the galleries comprising “The de Young Open,” a huge, varied collection of work by Bay Area artists. (Photo courtesy Gary Sexton/Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco)
Bay Area artists jam-pack vivid ‘de Young Open’

Huge exhibition — with works for sale — showcases diversity, supports community

SF Board of Education vice president Gabriela Lopez and commissioner Alison Collins listen at a news conference condemning recent racist and social media attacks targeted at them and the two student representatives on Monday, Oct. 26, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Online attacks on school board members denounced by city officials

City officials on Monday condemned the targeting of school board members, both… Continue reading

Most Read