Alioto-Pier commends John Does

The Board of Supervisors unanimously authorized the payment Tuesday of two $10,000 rewards for witnesses who came forward with information that led to an arrest and conviction in two separate homicide cases.

“We all know that we don’t ordinarily see these rewards to John Does in our agenda packet. It’s really great,” said Supervisor Michela Alioto-Pier. “This is how we are going to be able to help bring down the homicide rate in San Francisco when people have the courage to step forward and come up and tell about what they have seen. I hope to see more of these in the future.” Reward offerings have previously met with little success with  few witnesses being enticed by the reward to come forward with information.

Both $10,000 rewards were offered for information in the solving of two murder cases involving members of the Down Below Gang.

On Feb. 18, 2004, Mayor Gavin Newsom offered a $10,000 a reward for anyone who provides information leading to the arrest and conviction of those who killed the Jovanie Banks and Michael Hill. The reward is for a witness who came forward with information leading to the arrest and conviction of Emile Forte in federal district court. Forte pleded guilty and received a sentence of 41 years for the murders.

 In a separate homicide case, a $10,000 reward will go to a witness who came forward with information that led to the arrest and conviction of Don Johnson in the federal court case of the murder of Jaquain Williams. Newsom established the reward on March 2, 2005. Court documents said Johnson “possessed marijuana with intent to distribute it on two occasions and that he killed Jaquain Williams with a 9-mm semi-automatic handgun in retaliation for his suspected cooperation with police.”
 

Bay Area NewsBoard of SupervisorsGovernment & PoliticsnewsomPoliticsUnder the Dome

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom gave an update on COVID-19 cases on Thursday Nov. 3, 2020. (Examiner screenshot)
Newsom announces statewide stay-at-home order tied to availability of hospital beds

Order will take effect in Bay Area when intensive care unit capacity falls below 15 percent

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

Most Read