‘Ailing’ con man jumps $1M bail, hits road

A high-rolling con artist who faces 35 years in prison for a San Francisco real estate scam is now a fugitive, prosecutors said, after he posted a $1 million bail and then apparently disappeared before the guilty verdict in the case was handed down Wednesday.

Jay Shah, 48, the former owner of a telecommunications company in Silicon Valley, was reportedly ill and had been transferred from a hospital to a private care facility. While authorities confirmed that Shah had been at a hospital, they believe he never enrolled at a private care facility.

Shah and 48-year-old Winston Lum were convicted in connection with a high-profile scam at the posh One Rincon Hill condominium tower. The pair, along with three others, were charged with conspiring to fraudulently transfer a woman’s three condos, illegally obtain a $2.2 million loan on the properties and launder the money through shell companies.

Lum did attend the reading of the verdicts Wednesday.  

Shah had equity from his properties to post the $1 million bail, Assistant District Attorney Alex Bastian said Thursday.

Another person charged in the scam, Grachelle Languban, is a fugitive believed to have fled to the Philippines.

Also charged in the case is Kaushal Niroula, the 31-year-old Nepalese national who is famously known as the “Dark Prince.” He is in custody in Riverside County after being found guilty for the 2008 murder of a Palm Springs retiree.

Robbed shopkeeper says San Francisco is so broken it needs Batman

The Deli Board’s Adam Mesnick is sick and tired of SOMA crime

Endorsement: Matt Haney is a progressive who knows how to make progress

Examiner Editorial Board endorses Haney for San Francisco’s Assembly District 17

Chinatown community optimistic but ‘very nervous’ as Lunar New Year approaches

‘It is going to be a real test. We are all kind of holding our breath a little bit’