Accused arsonist to be free on bail

A man accused of causing the deaths of his two toddlers will likely soon be free on bail.

San Mateo Superior Court Judge Clifford Cretan on Thursday set bail for Charles Schuttloffel, 35, who has been denied bail since his arrest last year in the deaths of his two sons, ages 2 and 3.

Cretan set Schuttloffel’s bail at $120,000 for two charges of involuntary manslaughter and a drug possession charge.

“We’re under the impression that with his family money, he’ll be able to post bail,” Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

Schuttloffel’s two sons perished in a May 4, 2004, fire at the family’s San Gregorio home, near Half Moon Bay. Schuttloffel was indicted by a grand jury in March 2007 on murder and arson charges.

As part of an April 8 plea deal, prosecutors dropped the arson charge and Schuttloffel pleaded no contest to two counts of involuntary manslaughter. He will be sentenced July 3, and will likely be out of prison by the middle of 2009.

tbarak@sfexaminer.com

We interviewed every candidate in S.F.’s assembly race. Here’s where they stand on key issues

Hopefuls air their positions on housing, homelessness, COVID, transportation, crime and climate change

San Francisco’s mask rules are changing again

Vaccinated residents will be allowed to forego face coverings in certain settings

Opinion: Owner of famed sandwich shop says S.F. is so broken it needs Batman

The Deli Board’s Adam Mesnick is sick and tired of SoMa crime