ABC continues to investigate site of April triple-homicide

The California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control continues to investigate a bar where three men, including an 18-year-old, were shot on Easter weekend.

The ABC’s investigation — launched April 16 — will continue into September, according to spokesman John Carr.

“It’s a sensitive investigation because there’s a potential homicide involved, so we’re being really thorough and very careful,” he said.

He confirmed that the department is investigating any violations of ABC regulations, but would not say which ones.

Some in the community have accused the bar of selling alcohol to minors.

Redwood City residents Humberto Calderon, 18, and Jesus Hernandez, 28, were killed along with East Palo Alto resident Hemerenciano Mendoza, 38, April 15 at Headquarters, a bar at 895 Second Ave.

Witnesses said a fight broke out among the men, many of whom were at Headquarters to celebrate Calderon’s birthday, according to Redwood City Police Sgt. Sean Hart.

Shortly after the shootings, Headquarters restricted its hours — closing at 10 or 11 p.m. most nights, according to neighbors. But it has recently resumed late-night hours and music on weekends, according to resident Roxanne Dragan.

“I haven’t heard any complaints,” said Bonnie Miller, president of the Friendly Acres Neighborhood Association. “I think they’re doing pretty good, actually.”

Miller said she anticipated that Headquarters might begin operating later hours again, in part to recoup the costs associated with installing new security cameras and hiring security personnel to patrol the bar.

While employees at the bar would not comment, they confirmed that Headquarters will sometimes stay open as late as 1 or 1:30 a.m.

Redwood City Police confirmed that they have not been called to the bar since a May 1 incident in which it was firebombed with Molotov cocktails.

“We haven’t had any recent problems with the bar,” said Capt. Chris Cesina.

Meanwhile, Samuel Naranjo, 18, one of two suspects in the gunfight, returned to court Wednesday to set a date for his preliminary hearing after pleading not guilty to one count of murder Aug. 1.

Another suspect, Rolando Fernandez, 26, returns to court Aug. 31 but has not yet entered a plea, according to Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

Both remain in jail on a no-bail status.

“They are not accomplices,” Wagstaffe said. “It’s a very confusing situation, very difficult.”

bwinegarner@examiner.com

Bay Area NewsLocal

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

A cyclist heads past an artistic sign onto Page Street, a Slow Street, at Stanyan Street near Golden Gate Park on Monday, April 12, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Push to make street closures permanent meets with resistance

Hastily thrown together during the pandemic, Slow Streets program now struggles to build support

Agnes Liang, who will be a senior at Mission High School, is running for one of the two student representative seats on the San Francisco Unified School District Board of Education. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Turbulent year on school board leaves student delegates undeterred

Around this time last year, Shavonne Hines-Foster and Kathya Correa Almanza were… Continue reading

(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Three people killed in SF shootings in less than 24 hours

San Francisco police were scrambling Saturday to respond to a series of… Continue reading

Muni operator Angel Carvajal drives the popular boat tram following a news conference celebrating the return of the historic F-line and subway service on Friday, May 14, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Mayor, transit officials celebrate return of Muni service

Mayor London Breed and city transit officials gathered Friday to welcome the… Continue reading

San Francisco police investigated the scene of a police shooting near Varney Place and Third Street on May 7. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFPD shooting may prompt new body camera rules for plainclothes cops

Police chief says incident ‘should not have happened’

Most Read