72-year-old man attacked by North Beach thugs

A 72-year-old man was jumped by three heartless young men and a woman in North Beach early Tuesday, police reported.

Officers were called to Grant Avenue and Fresno Street about 2:30 a.m. and met with the victim and a witness. The witness told police that two men who appeared to be in their 20s and a woman of about the same age suddenly attacked the man, kicking him several times, including in the head.

The group fled and reportedly did not rob the man.

Prior to the attack, Officer Gordon Shyy said, there had been a verbal altercation between the victim and the suspects at Broadway and Columbus Avenue. The police spokesman declined to elaborate about the argument, however, and said the motive is “currently under investigation.”

The descriptions of the attackers were vague — the men wore dark clothing and the woman had a blond streak in her hair.

The 72-year-old lost consciousness during the attack, police said, and he was taken to a hospital with a cut to the head and an eye injury. The injuries are not life-threatening, Shyy said.

Investigators said they planned to search for video surveillance footage from the area, hoping to identify the suspects.

Bay Area NewsCrimeCrime & CourtsLaw and DisorderLocalSan Francisco

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Union threatens legal action after Police Commission expands use-of-force policy

San Francisco’s police union is pursuing legal action after the Police Commission… Continue reading

City Attorney seeks to recoup ‘illegal profits’ gained by Walter Wong through city contracts

San Francisco will seek to recover “illegal profits” gained by well-known permit… Continue reading

SF Police Commission votes to expand use-of-force policy

Decision to bypass union negotiations could set stage for litigation

Free Muni for Youth program expansion halted by SFMTA budget crisis

Low- and moderate-income kids can still travel for free

Newsom orders multiple counties to shut down bars, indoor restaurants as COVID-19 cases rise

As confirmed cases of COVID-19 rise in California, Gov. Gavin Newsom on… Continue reading

Most Read