49ers release fullback Bruce Miller after arrest in SF

The San Francisco 49ers released fullback Bruce Miller from the team on Monday after a media report surfaced that he was arrested earlier that morning.

The arrest stemmed from an altercation between Miller and an elderly couple staying at a hotel in the 1200 block of Columbus Avenue in The City’s Fisherman’s Wharf neighborhood, San Francisco police said.

Officers responded to the hotel at about 2:45 a.m. to reports of an intoxicated person and found Miller was allegedly attempting to enter a hotel room where a 70-year-old man and 66-year-old woman were staying.

Another guest, the couple’s 29-year-old son, had tried to tell Miller he was in the wrong room, when Miller “charged at him, starting a physical confrontation,” police said in a statement.

The father tried to defend his son, but Miller allegedly punched him. The father and son were both taken to a hospital for treatment to their injuries.

Miller was later found across the street at a different hotel, and arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault, elder abuse, threats and battery, police said.

He was booked into San Francisco County Jail and is reportedly cooperating in the investigation.

At noon, the 49ers posted on Twitter that they had released Miller from the team.

In June 2015, Miller pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charge of disturbing the peace in connection with a March incident involving his ex-fiancé. In that incident, Miller allegedly threw the woman’s cellphone and smashed it during an argument at a Santa Clara hotel.

Bay City News Service contributed to this report.

Dire water warnings confront San Francisco and beyond

‘We will face challenges that I don’t think modern California has ever really seen before’

By Jessica Wolfrom
Debate over $150 million San Francisco school district windfall

‘We’re looking at the ways to boost morale’

By Ida Mojadad
Charlotte Mailliard Shultz, San Francisco’s longest serving chief of protocol, has died

‘Her warmth and verve are irreplaceable.’

By Catherine Bigelow | Examiner staff writer