Secretary of State Rex Tillerson speaks during the daily press briefing in the Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, in Washington, D.C., on November 20, 2017. (Oliver Contreras/SIPA USA/TNS)

White House reportedly plans to replace Secretary of State Rex Tillerson with CIA head Mike Pompeo

The White House has plans to give Secretary of State Rex Tillerson the boot and replace him with current CIA head Mike Pompeo, according to reports on Thursday.

Pompeo would be replaced at the Central Intelligence Agency by Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., in a Trump administration shake-up that could come as early as January, The New York Times reported.

Tillerson, a former Exxon Mobil executive, has butted heads with President Donald Trump on several key issues regarding diplomacy and has publicly split from the official White House line on situations in North Korea and Iran.

Several reports noted that Tillerson called Trump a “moron” in private, which he has denied.

After engaging in a war of words with Trump last month, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., told The Washington Post that the President had “publicly castrate(d)” Tillerson on the world stage with his frequent outbursts and threats.

While Tillerson’s exit has been speculated on for months, it was generally reported that he was expected to finish out the year.

Previous rumors circulated in Washington that White House officials were considering replacing Tillerson with U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley.
Pompeo has become a trusted Trump adviser since being appointed to the CIA.

“Like President Trump, Director Pompeo is clear-eyed and hard-nosed about the threats we face, and he speaks in the direct, blunt manner of a man who has no time to waste when confronting those threats,” Cotton, who served alongside Pompeo in the House, told Politico.

Cotton taking over the nation’s spy agency would open up another seat in the Senate, a repercussion that would likely weigh on Trump’s ultimate decision, according to The Times.US

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Police release an image a cracked windshield on a Prius that Cesar Vargas allegedly tried to carjack. Vargas, who was shot by police a short time later, can be seen in videos jumping on the windshield and pushing a Muni passenger who disembarked from a bus. (Courtesy SFPD
SFPD releases videos of deadly police shooting

Cesar Vargas killed after reports of carjacking with knife

New legislation would make sure supportive housing tenants don’t pay more than 30 percent of their income for rent.. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner))
Supportive housing tenants could get more help paying the rent

Supportive housing tenants struggling to pay rent could soon see their payments… Continue reading

Organizers of the San Francisco International Arts Festival had planned to use parts of Fort Mason including the Parade Ground, Eucalyptus Grove and Black Point Battery to host performances by about a dozen Bay Area arts groups. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Arts festival sues city over permit denial

Organizer says outdoor performances should be treated like demonstrations, religious gatherings

An oversight body for San Francisco’s mental health programs may be restructured after questions were raised about its management and lack of effectiveness. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Behavioral health oversight body looks for new start — and staff — after mismanagement

Members of an oversight body for San Francisco’s behavioral health programs said… Continue reading

The City requires the recycling or reuse of debris material removed from a construction project site. <ins>(Emma Chiang/Special to S.F. Examiner)</ins>
<ins></ins>
Permits proposed for haulers of construction debris to achieve zero-waste

San Francisco plans to tighten regulations on the disposal of construction and… Continue reading

Most Read