Trump: Sprint’s parent company to invest $50B, create 50,000 jobs in US

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — President-elect Donald Trump said Tuesday that the Tokyo-based parent company of Sprint Corp. has agreed to invest $50 billion and create 50,000 jobs in the United States.

Trump made the remarks standing beside Masayoshi Son, who is chairman of Sprint and CEO of SoftBank Group Corp., which owns more than 80 percent of Sprint. The wireless carrier, headquartered outside Kansas City, was not mentioned in a brief video of Trump’s comments that ABC posted on Twitter.

Son spoke with reporters after the meeting with Trump and said his plans involve new companies.

“We were talking about it, and then I said I’d like to celebrate his presidential job” because Trump will advocate deregulation, Son told reporters, according to Bloomberg News. He said he would invest in “new companies, startup companies in the United States.”

A Sprint spokesman referred questions to SoftBank. SoftBank officials were not immediately available for comment.

Sprint is unlikely to see any of the investment, analysts said. Its management is in the second year of a massive cost-cutting effort and the company borrowed against many of its assets to fund the turnaround effort on its own.

But Son’s announcement provides some public relations benefit to any potential bid he might make to buy Sprint rival T-Mobile USA Inc., analysts agreed.

Son, a billionaire, has been public his plans to buy T-Mobile to better challenge larger rivals Verizon and AT&T. SoftBank aborted an attempt at a merger in 2014 in the face of regulatory objections about eliminating one of the four national wireless competitors.

Analysts have said SoftBank almost certainly would test the regulatory waters again under a Trump administration. So far, Trump has not named anyone to key posts that would oversee any merger proposal.

Wireless industry analyst Bill Ho said Son’s meeting with Trump and the promise offered, in business terms, synergy for both men. Trump gets more U.S. jobs to talk about, and Son creates some good will with the new administration.

“It’s all pure speculation on our part but, cynically, it gives them a good footing, at least PR-wise for a merger because of the new administration,” said Ho, of 556 Ventures LLC.

Roger Entner, of Recon Analytics, agreed, saying Son’s pledge to the president-elect likely has a merger-related shadow to it. Son has a $100 billion investment fund, working with Saudi Arabia, and naturally would plan to invest a large part of that in the United States because of the opportunities there.

“You’re going to do it anyway, so why not make some hay out of it,” Entner said. “I don’t see Masa (Son) doing it for any other reason in such a high profile way.”

In the video, Son holds up a printout of a presentation that shows the names SoftBank and Foxconn, the China-based supplier to Apple and Samsung, across the top. A photo of the page suggests that Foxconn may be pledging a $7 billion investment and an additional 50,000 jobs. It also says the investment would come over four years.

“This is Masa of SoftBank from Japan,” Trump said in the video clip. “And he’s one of the great men of industry.”USWorld

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

District Attorney Chesa Boudin announces charges against former SFPD Officer Christopher Samoyoa in the 2017 fatal shooting of Keita O’Neill at a press conference outside the Hall of Justice on Monday, Nov. 23, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
DA Boudin charges fired SFPD officer with manslaughter over fatal shooting

Ex-Officer Christopher Samayoa to face criminal charges in killing of Keita O’Neil

The area near the Castro Muni Metro Station is expected to be affected by construction work on the Twin Peaks Tunnel, with lane closures on Market Street and some loss of parking. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Construction on Twin Peaks Tunnel to begin November 30

Area around Castro Muni Station will see greatest impacts including lane closures on Market Street

(Genaro Molina/Pool/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Newsom calls latest surge of COVID-19 cases ‘unprecendented’

By Eli Walsh Bay City News Foundation California’s latest surge of COVID-19… Continue reading

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, during a news conference on March 10, 2020. (Myung J. Chun/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
LA County suspends outdoor dining at restaurants as coronavirus surges

By Alex Wigglesworth Los Angeles Times Los Angeles County public health officials… Continue reading

Renderings of the main entrance to upcoming Mission Bay elementary school on Owens Street. (Courtesy photo)
SFUSD offers first look at planned Mission Bay elementary school

San Francisco school officials this month unveiled the design of a planned… Continue reading

Most Read