Trump campaign bears down on new twist in Clinton email case

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump’s running mate Sunday seized on new revelations by the FBI director to feed voters’ doubts about the trustworthiness of Hillary Clinton, saying they are a reminder that she is a “risky choice” to be president.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence and campaign manager Kellyanne Conway signaled in television interviews how the Trump campaign hopes to pull off an upset victory in next week’s election: by a relentless focus on the controversy that began with Clinton’s decision to use a private server for her emails while she was secretary of state.

FBI Director James Comey’s decision to inform Congress on Friday that new emails had been found created a reversal for the Trump campaign, which has spent months criticizing the decision not to prosecute Clinton.

“The decision by the FBI here, I think, is encouraging to millions of Americans,” Pence said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “Because, No. 1, the FBI director is keeping his word to the Congress that if new pertinent information came forward that justified the reopening of the case, that he would alert the Congress. He has done that.”

Conway said the new review will remind voters of Clinton’s email problem in the closing days of the campaign: “For voters at this stage, this plays into their whole reluctance about Hillary Clinton,” she said on ABC’s “This Week.”

Clinton’s running mate, Tim Kaine, amplified his campaign’s criticisms of Comey, saying that he violated long-standing Department of Justice protocols about steering clear of actions that could influence elections and revealing information about ongoing investigations.

Kaine, a Virginia senator and former governor who said he has known Comey since he was a federal prosecutor in the state, said Comey mystified him when he decided to send the letter, particularly in light of reports that the FBI has not yet reviewed the emails, which surfaced as part of an unrelated sexting investigation involving former Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., husband of Clinton aide Huma Abedin.

“You can’t break both these protocols and leave it hanging out there with a question mark,” Kaine said on “This Week.” “You owe people the complete information. If he hasn’t seen the emails, they need to make that completely plain.”US

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Mayor London Breed speaks at the grand opening of the Bayview Essential Services Hub at the Southeast Community Facility on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
San Francisco enters red COVID tier, indoor dining to resume

Museums and gyms can reopen with capacity limits

Cities including San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley are calling for large grocery and drug store chains to pay employees hazard pay for working during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Shutterstock)
SF proposes $5 hazard pay law for grocery, drug store workers

San Francisco may soon join the growing number of cities requiring large… Continue reading

Hikers walk along a closed stretch of Twin Peaks Boulevard on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board to vote on future of Twin Peaks Boulevard

The proposal would keep Burnett Avenue gate closed to vehicles, open Portola Drive

Kindergarten teacher Jennifer Klein collects crayons from students in the classroom at Lupine Hill Elementary School on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020 in Calabasas, California. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Newsom, legislators strike deal to reopen California schools

Taryn Luna and John Myers Los Angeles Times Gov. Gavin Newsom and… Continue reading

A sign about proposed development of the bluff at Thornton State Beach in Daly City on Friday, Feb. 26, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Retreat center proposed at popular state beach

Daly City residents oppose construction on ocean bluffs

Most Read