Social Security to resume statements for some

Social Security benefits statements — which officials stopped mailing to cut costs — will again be sent out to selected age groups.

Annual statements will begin being sent again next month to people 60 and older who are not yet receiving benefits, Social Security Commissioner Michael Astrue said in a letter obtained by The Associated Press. One-time mailings to 25-year-old workers introducing them to the entitlement program and their potential benefits will begin being sent by the end of the year, the letter says.

Despite that, the bulk of the 150 million people who had received the statements will not, instead being directed to a website the Social Security Administration plans to open in the coming months to allow access to benefit estimates. In Astrue's letter, dated Friday, he also says people who are unable to access the Internet or who have other reasons for needing a paper statement will be able to request one.

The details of the revised mailing guidelines were expected to be announced Tuesday by Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wis., chairman of the Senate Special Committee on Aging, and Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., a member of the committee. The senators had written Astrue last month expressing concern over the halted statements.

Reducing the number of statements sent out is expected to trim the estimated $70 million annual bill to about $3.7 million. The SSA says the Web-based system is expected to cost just a fraction of what mailed statements had.

“It's always important to look for ways to cut costs, but there's a good reason for the law requiring that these statements be mailed to workers,” Kohl said in a statement.

Nelson said if businesses must send quarterly statements to employees with 401(k) accounts, the government should do the same. “While the decision is a step in the right direction,” he said, “it still doesn't make sense to send to some folks but not to others.”

In his letter, Astrue said the statement scale-back was just one of many areas the agency was cutting costs, from consolidating offices to leaving jobs unfilled.

“Budget shortfalls force us to make some very difficult decisions,” he said.

Since the 1980s, Social Security statements have been mailed each year to workers older than 25. They include a history of taxable earnings for each year — so people can check for mistakes — as well as the total amount of Social Security and Medicare taxes paid over the lifetime of the worker.

The statements provide estimates of monthly benefits, based on current earnings and when a worker plans to retire.

Scaling back the statements is part of a trend in government to conduct more of its business electronically. A majority of Social Security beneficiaries already have their benefits direct deposited into their bank account.

CongressnewsPoliticsUS

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks at a COVID-19 update at the City College of San Francisco mass vaccination site in April. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
Gavin Newsom under COVID: The governor dishes on his pandemic life

By Emily Hoeven CalMatters It was strange, after 15 months of watching… Continue reading

Deputy public defender Chris Garcia outside the Hall of Justice on Wednesday, June 16, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
As pandemic wanes, SF public defender hopes clients will get ‘their day in court’

Like other attorneys in San Francisco, Deputy Public Defender Chris Garcia has… Continue reading

Hyphen hosts a group show at Space Gallery in San Francisco in 2010. (Photo courtesy of Albert Law/Pork Belly Studio)
What’s in a name? Asian American magazine fights to keep its identity

An investor-backed media group laid claim to the moniker of SF’s long-running Hyphen magazine, sparking a conversation about writing over community history

A warning notice sits under the windshield wiper of a recreational vehicle belonging to a homeless man named David as it sits parked on De Wolf Street near Alemany Boulevard on Friday, Aug. 31, 2018. A proposed SF Municipal Transportation Agency law would make it illegal for overnight parking on the side street for vehicles taller than seven feet or longer than 22 feet. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Fight over ‘poverty tows’ heats up

‘What can we do to ensure the vehicle stays in the hands of the owner?’

Crab fisherman Skip Ward of Marysville casts his crab net out off a pier near Fort Point. (Craig Lee/Special to The	Examiner)
San Francisco came back to life, and we captured it all

Last spring, in the early days of the pandemic, the bestselling authors… Continue reading

Most Read