President Obama sends me an email

He’s raising funds for the DCCC. Is it just me, or is he saying that the economy is back on track?

When I took office, we had a big choice to make. We could do what was easy to get through the next election or we could do what was hard – and right – to help the next generation.

Our extraordinary House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and my Democratic partners in the House chose to lead. They chose to do the real heavy lifting to get our economy back on track and to restore the American dream for every American.

He’s at least saying that they’ve gotten the economy moving in the right direction — which is demonstrably untrue as of this week.

More important, though, is this meme about Obama making the tough choices. He has done no such thing.

Is it really that tough to spend other people’s money on the unionists who spent hundreds of millions of dollars to get you elected? To lavish cash on partisan PR firms and contractors whose workers who are supposed to be grateful and whose executives will cut checks to the Democratic Party? That’s the short version of the stimulus for you.

Obamacare has a constituency as well — not the 85 percent who have insurance and now expect it to get worse, but the other 15 percent. M0st Americans want to help the uninsured — a fact of which Obama was quite aware when he pushed his bill through Congress — but they don’t want to help the 15 percent in a way that screws up health care for the other 85 percent. Therein lies Obama’s miscalculation on Obamacare.

I don’t think any of Obama’s choices on domestic policy have been particularly tough. He expected to be rewarded for them. It looks like he’s going to be proven wrong.

Barack ObamaBeltway ConfidentialObamacareUS

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Anti-eviction demonstrators rally outside San Francisco Superior Court. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Report: Unpaid rent due to COVID-19 could be up to $32.7M per month

A new city report that attempts to quantify how much rent has… Continue reading

Music venues around The City have largely been unable to reopen due to ongoing pandemic health orders. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF to cut $2.5M in fees to help 300 nightlife venues

San Francisco will cut $2.5 million in fees for hundreds of entertainment… Continue reading

Supreme Court nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett departs the U.S. Capitol on October 21, 2020 in Washington, DC. President Donald Trump nominated Barrett to replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg after Ginsburg’s death. (Photo by Stefani Reynolds/Getty Images)
GOP senators confirm Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court in partisan vote

By Jennifer Haberkorn Los Angeles Times The Senate on Monday confirmed Judge… Continue reading

Curator Tim Burgard looks over a section of the galleries comprising “The de Young Open,” a huge, varied collection of work by Bay Area artists. (Photo courtesy Gary Sexton/Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco)
Bay Area artists jam-pack vivid ‘de Young Open’

Huge exhibition — with works for sale — showcases diversity, supports community

SF Board of Education vice president Gabriela Lopez and commissioner Alison Collins listen at a news conference condemning recent racist and social media attacks targeted at them and the two student representatives on Monday, Oct. 26, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Online attacks on school board members denounced by city officials

City officials on Monday condemned the targeting of school board members, both… Continue reading

Most Read