Judicial Watch sues Secret Service for White House visitor logs

That pesky Judicial Wach bunch just won't go away! Now they've filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Secret Service, asking a federal court to order the release of visitor logs to the White House for the period between Jan.  20, 2009, and Aug. 10, 2009.

The suit was filed after the Secret Service denied Judicial Watch's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requiest for the logs. According to Judicial Watch, the Secret Service denial is based on the incorrect argument that White House visitor logs are not subject to the FOIA because the logs aren't “agency records.”

In fact, federal courts on at least four recent occasions have rejected the Secret Service argument that the logs are not agency records, according to Judicial Watch. The four cases include:

*    Washington Post v. U.S. Dep’t of Homeland Security, 459 F. Supp 2d 61, 72 (D.D.C. 2006);

*    Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington v. U.S. Dep’t of Homeland Security, 592 F. Supp. 2d 111, 124 (D.D.C. 2009);

*    Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington v. U.S. Dep’t of Homeland Security, 527 F. Supp. 2d 76, 89 (D.D.C. 2007); and,

*    Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington v. U.S. Dep’t of Homeland Security, 459 F. Supp. 2d 61, 71-72 (D.D.C. 2006).

Judicial Watch president Tom Fitton explained why his organization filed the suit despite the voluntary publication of the White House last month of some of its visitors logs:

“The courts have affirmed that these White House visitor records are subject to release under FOIA law. If the Obama administration is serious about transparency, they will agree to the release of these records under the Freedom of Information Act. The recent ‘party crasher’ scandal at the White House put the spotlight on the need for transparency under law when it comes to who visits the White House.”

For more on the Judicial Watch case, go here.

 

Barack ObamaBeltway ConfidentialPoliticsUS

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Gov. Gavin Newsom gave an update on COVID-19 cases on Thursday Nov. 3, 2020. (Examiner screenshot)
Newsom announces statewide stay-at-home order tied to availability of hospital beds

Order will take effect in Bay Area when intensive care unit capacity falls below 15 percent

Photo by Abalone Runner/ <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74406455" target="_blank">CC BY-SA 4.0</a>
Former Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard facing domestic violence, child abuse charges

Prominent Bay Area political strategist Nathan Ballard is facing domestic violence and… Continue reading

Construction crews work on new red bus rapid transit lanes on Van Ness Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SFMTA board scrutinizes Van Ness BRT spending

Proposed contract modification would allocate $2.6 million for pedestrian monitors

Mayor London Breed said “I need to hold myself to a higher standard” in response to criticism of a recent meal at a Napa Valley restaurant. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Breed calls criticism for French Laundry trip ‘fair’

Mayor said she regrets that actions ‘distracted’ from public health message as COVID-19 cases rise

City Administrator Naomi Kelly said Wednesday that the allegations against her husband were “based on the word of a liar.” (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
City Administrator Naomi Kelly takes leave after feds charge husband

High-ranking official under scrutiny over 2016 China trip

Most Read