House Hits Snag in Tax Cut Debate

Democrats had to suddenly pull from the floor a package of tax cuts and jobless benefits Thursday when they determined there remained too much opposition from their liberal wing, despite efforts to allow the progressives to vote for changes to the deal. The House was still expected to vote Thursday on the $858 billion measure, which would extend the Bush-era tax breaks to every income level for another two years and provide 13 months of additional jobless benefits. The delay was caused by liberal Democrats who are vehemently opposed to the wealthiest taxpayers receiving a tax break extension and particularly angry over a provision in the bill that would lower the estate tax from 45 percent to 35 percent and raise the threshold for those who would be subjected to the tax. The House debated the legislation for an hour early Thursday. Most Democrats slammed the deal while Republicans largely defended it, with a few notable exceptions, including Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., who is opposed to any estate tax and said the bill cost too much. “The American people have spoken on Nov. 2 and the American people did not vote for more deficits, more stimulus or more uncertainty in the tax code, but that is just what this lame duck congress is about to get them,” Pence said. Democrats need the backing of their full caucus in order to pass the “rule” needed to proceed to debate on the bill since Republicans typically vote against this kind of resolution. Democrats were meeting Thursday to find a way to move forward, appeasing angry liberals but at the same time preserves the bill as it is. The Senate passed the package earlier this week and Senate Republicans said the bill must remain unchanged to maintain their support.Beltway ConfidentialUS

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

School board members Gabriela Lopez (left) and Alison Collins (right) say they have been the subject of frequent hateful, racist and sexist attacks during their time on the school board. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F Examiner)
Angered by Lowell decision, SFUSD grad targets school board members with violent imagery

Facebook page depicts two women of color on board with swastikas and x-marks on their faces

Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer, a former school board member, said it was ‘ridiculous’ that the school district did not yet have a plan to reopen. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Supervisors demand SFUSD set a timeline for reopening

Pressure grows on district to resume in-person learning as The City’s COVID-19 case count goes down

“Tenet,” the new Christopher Nolan film starring John David Washington, is showing at the drive-in in Concord. (Courtesy Warner Bros.)
Drive-ins are popping up all over the Bay Area

There are pandemic-era options for movie lovers who want to watch outdoors

The San Francisco International Arts Festival will present performances this weekend outdoors at Fort Mason, including on the Parade Ground, Eucalyptus Grove and Black Point Battery. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF International Arts Festival wins health department approval for weekend performances

Rules allow no more than 50 people at outdoor Fort Mason performances

In this handout image provided by the California Department of Corrections, convicted murderer Scott Peterson poses for a mug shot March 17, 2005 in San Quentin, California. Judge Alfred A. Delucchi sentenced Peterson to death March 16 for murdering his wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn child. (California Department of Corrections via Getty Images/TNS)
Prosecutors to retry penalty phase of Scott Peterson trial

2003 discovery of Laci Peterson’s body led to sensational high-profile murder trial of husband

Most Read