Gov. Christie pulls plug on mass transit project

Determining that his cash-strapped state cannot afford the escalating costs of a mega-mass transit project,  New Jersey Governor Chris Christie boldly canceled an 8.8-mile commuter rail tunnel under the Hudson River that would have linked New Jersey and New York City.

Work on the tunnel project began last spring, but the federal government estimated that the original $8.7 billion price tag could balloon to as much as $14 billion when Christie pulled the plug less than a month after he stopped work on the Access to the Region’s Core (ARC) project after giving his staff and federal transportation officials time to review cost estimates.

This “is just not a financially viable project that we can responsibly move forward,” Christie said in a statement. The governor recently made national headlines when he took on unions and the state legislature to close an $11 billion state budget deficit.

“I will not allow taxpayers to fund projects that run over budget with no clear way of how these costs will be paid for,” a defiant Christie said.

The ARC tunnel was to be funded by the Federal Transit Administration, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and the State of New Jersey– which would have been responsible for any cost overruns.  New Jersey must now reimburse the federal government for $300 million that has already been spent on the project.

The news comes on the heels of a projected $1.35 billion increase in capital costs for Phase 2 of Dulles Rail.  The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which is managing the mass transit project, has still not explained why cost estimates have jumped 54 percent since the project was approved.

Beltway ConfidentialChris ChristieFederal Transit AdministrationUS

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

Former Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs spoke to San Francisco’s new Guaranteed Income Advisory Group on April 16. (Courtesy SFGOV)
City launches task force to explore Universal Basic Income programs

San Francisco on Friday launched a guaranteed income task force that could… Continue reading

Muni’s K-Ingleside line will return six months earlier than previously announced. <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
K-Ingleside train to return on May 15

Announcement comes on the heels of pressure from Supervisor Myrna Melgar

Demonstrators march from Mission High School towards the San Francisco Police station on Valencia Street. (Jordi Molina/ Special to the S.F. Examiner)
Vigil, march honors those killed by police

Deaths of Daunte Wright, Roger Allen and others prompt renewed calls for defunding

A Recology employee stands at the comapany’s recycling facility on Pier 96 in 2016. (Jessica Christian/2016 S.F. Examiner)
Nuru scandal: Feds charge second former Recology executive with bribery

A second former Recology executive is facing charges for allegedly bribing ex-Public… Continue reading

Skier Andy Padlo crosses a frozen Spicer Reservoir. (Courtesy photo)
Stormy weather tests skiers’ mettle on Dardanelle traverse

Overcoming challenges makes outings more rewarding

Most Read