Examiner parent company hires web veteran as chief digital officer

Clarity Media Group, the parent company of The San Francisco Examiner, announced today that veteran digital media executive Bob Benz is joining the company as chief digital officer.

Benz will oversee interactive strategy and operations at The San Francisco Examiner, Washington Examiner and Weekly Standard.

“Bob brings deep media experience and an entrepreneurial spirit to this role,” said Clarity Media Group CEO Ryan McKibben. “We’ve seen strong audience and revenue growth in difficult times, and we believe Bob has the skills to help us continue these positive trends while keeping us pointed toward the digital future.”

Previously Benz served as VP/interactive for Scripps newspapers and chief operating officer at Radiant Markets. He also worked as a media consultant with LedgeSolutions. He spent 10 years as a print journalist before helping to take the Rocky Mountain News online in 1995.

“The first thing that impressed me about Clarity was that it’s a news organization that functions more like a startup than a traditional media company,” Benz said. “The free distribution of its newspapers is the industry model of the future, and I believe we can continue this innovative spirit on the digital side of the house.”

Benz begins work at Clarity on Jan. 1, 2011, and will be based at the Washington Examiner’s offices.

businessBusiness & Real EstateThe San Francisco Examinerwashington examiner

Just Posted

ose Pak and Willie Brown at an event in 2014. 
Rose Pak and Willie Brown at an event in 2014.
Willie and Rose: An alliance for the ages

How the Mayor and Chinatown activist shaped San Francisco, then and now

City officials have informed the owners of El Farolito, a legendary taqueria that started in the Mission District, that they cannot open a new location in North Beach due to rules against “formula retail.” (Gil Duran/SF Examiner)
Free El Farolito! San Francisco’s North Beach burrito ban must not stand

San Francisco reaches new level of absurdity with ban on famed burrito spot

San Francisco supervisors are considering plans to replace trash cans — a “Renaissance” garbage can is pictured on Market Street — with pricey, unnecessary upgrades. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
San Francisco must end ridiculous and expensive quest for ‘pretty’ trash cans

SF’s unique and pricey garbage bins a dream of disgraced former Public Works director

Giants right fielder Mike Yastrzemski is pictured at bat on July 29 against the Dodgers at Oracle Park; the teams are in the top spots in their league as the season closes. (Chris Victorio/Special to The Examiner)
With playoff positions on the line, old rivalries get new life

Giants cruised through season, Dodgers not far behind

Golden Gate Park visitors may take a survey about options regarding private car access on John F. Kennedy Drive, which has been the subject of controversy during the pandemic.<ins> (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)</ins>
Your chance to weigh in: Should JFK remain closed to cars?

Host of mobility improvements for Golden Gate Park proposed

Most Read