Estate of slain reality TV producer's wife settled

AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes

AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes

The family of a reality TV producer accused of killing his wife in Mexico has settled a dispute with the woman's sisters over her estate, and all its money will be set aside for the couple's two young children, attorneys told a judge Wednesday.

The agreement ends years of fighting between the sisters of Monica Burgos Beresford-Redman and the parents of former “Survivor” producer Bruce Beresford-Redman, who remains jailed in Mexico.

The producer, his wife and children were on vacation in Cancun when Monica Beresford-Redman was killed and her body placed in the sewer cistern of the swank family resort where they were staying. The vacation was an attempt to save their marriage after Monica Beresford-Redman learned her husband was cheating on her.

The Emmy-nominated producer has denied he killed his wife, and his attorneys in both the United States and Mexico have said there is no forensic evidence tying him to his wife's death.

Her sisters contested Monica Beresford-Redman's will, which would have left her estate to her husband.

The couple's children are cared for by the husband's parents and will each receive a monthly stipend from a trust account, lawyers told Superior Court Commissioner Donald Cowan during a brief hearing Wednesday.

“Everything goes to the kids,” said Richard W. Petty, an attorney for Monica Beresford-Redman's sisters.

Bruce Beresford-Redman remains in a Mexican jail and is unable to receive mail from his family or lawyers, Petty said. A Mexican judge ruled last year that there was enough evidence for him to stand trial, but Petty said a date had not been set.

Bruce Beresford-RedmanCaliforniaCalifornia NewsMonica Burgos Beresford-RedmanSurvivor

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

San Francisco Symphony Music Director Esa-Pekka Salonen and members of the orchestra were thrilled to be back inside Davies Symphony Hall on May 6 in a program for first responders featuring string works by Jean Sibelius, George Walker, Carl Nielsen, Caroline Shaw and Edward Grieg. (Courtesy Stefan Cohen/San Francisco Symphony)
SF Symphony makes joyful return to Davies Hall

Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts program for first responders and community leaders

Students in an after-school community hub move quickly through a social circle as they play a game at the Mission YMCA on Friday, May 7, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Parents scramble for ‘Summer Together’ spaces

City program offering free camps sees high demand, confusion over enrollment

Calfire (Shutterstock)
Wildfires burn around Northern California during first red flag weekend of the year

Firefighters around the region battled wildfires all day Saturday, starting less than… Continue reading

The Port of San Francisco, which controls much of the The City’s waterfront, faces potential layoffs due to a financial crisis caused by the pandemic. 
Steven Ho/
Special to S.F. Examiner
In a financial ‘crisis,’ SF Port officials lobby for stimulus funding

Looking to right their financial ship, Port of San Francisco officials are… Continue reading

Legislation introduced by Assemblymember Phil Ting has expanded the range of people who can request a gun violence restraining order against someone. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Use of gun violence restraining orders continues to rise

For the fourth year in a row, the number of gun violence… Continue reading

Most Read