The brother of a knife-wielding homeless man who was shot and killed by Bay Area Rapid Transit police last year is filing a wrongful death suit against the transit agency.
Forty-five-year-old Charles Hill was killed by BART police on July 3 at the Civic Center station. The suit filed Wednesday says BART police officers were called to the scene because Hill appeared intoxicated, but the knife he threw missed them, according to the Contra Costa Times (http://bit.ly/w3MEqP).
In the weeks following Hill's death, transit officials interrupted cell phone reception in downtown stations to keep protesters from using mobile devices to coordinate a demonstration.
Hilll's estate seeks unspecified monetary damages and names BART and three agency employees as defendants.
BART spokesman Jim Allison says the officers faced a life-or-death situation and acted appropriately.
Information from: Contra Costa Times, http://www.contracostatimes.com