Boudin ‘disappointed’ about not guilty verdict in police brutality case

Jury finds Officer Terrance Stangel not guilty of three of the four assault charges

Prosecutors expressed disappointment after a jury’s acquittal Monday of a San Francisco police officer accused in 2019 of beating an unarmed Black man with a baton.

The jury found Officer Terrance Stangel not guilty of three of the four charges, including battery, assault with a deadly weapon and assault likely to cause great bodily injury. On the fourth charge for assault under color of authority, the jury was unable to agree, resulting in a mistrial on that count.

San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin announced charges against Stangel in December 2020 in connection with the encounter, which left Dacari Spiers with a broken leg and wrist, as well as lacerations to his leg.

Stangel became the first on-duty officer in The City’s history to be tried for such crimes.

After the verdict, Boudin shared his disappointment through a statement from his office.

“We respect the jury process although we remain disappointed that police accountability remains so elusive and difficult to achieve,” Boudin said in the statement. “I am committed to continuing to hold those who commit harm accountable — regardless of the uniform they may wear or the badge they may carry.”

Boudin noted that last month, The City and county of San Francisco settled a lawsuit with Spiers for $700,000 in connection with the beating. He also commended the prosecutors in his office who handled the case: Hans Moore, Rebecca Young, and Lateef Gray.

“They fought an uphill battle to hold a police officer — backed by the powerful (union) — accountable for severely beating an unarmed Black man,” Boudin said. “Our work to hold those who harm our community members accountable continues. No one is above the law — including those tasked with enforcing it. We are committed to protecting the right of all people to be safe.”

On Oct. 7, 2019, Stangel and his partner, Officer Cuahtémoc Martinez, responded to Fisherman’s Wharf after 911 callers reported a man choking a woman. At the scene, a struggle ensued between Spiers and the officers.

At one point, Martinez brought Spiers to the ground and Stangel struck Spiers’ legs with a baton several times.

Although Spiers was not arrested, he was handcuffed and later cited for obstructing an officer.

Spiers required surgery and stitches and was wheelchair-bound during his recovery, according to prosecutors.

Stangel’s attorney Nicole Pifari has maintained Stangel and his partner acted lawfully as they attempted to protect the public from a potentially dangerous situation.

Suspected monkeypox case in California: What you should know

Health officials are working to confirm California’s first suspected case of monkeypox

California approves new water restrictions amid worsening drought

Local water agencies to reduce water use by up to 20% and prohibit watering lawns at businesses

SF budget proposal could raise SRO caseworker wages to $28 per hour

High employee turnover often worsens living conditions in San Francisco’s residential hotels. As a result, extremely low-income residents can get…