Scoop: Chris Brown may not be allowed to go Down Under

Chris Brown's plans to tour Down Under were in jeopardy on Sunday, after the Australian government formally warned the troubled R&B singer that he is likely to be denied a visa because of his criminal conviction for assaulting pop star Rihanna. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung, File)

Chris Brown's plans to tour Down Under were in jeopardy on Sunday, after the Australian government formally warned the troubled R&B singer that he is likely to be denied a visa because of his criminal conviction for assaulting pop star Rihanna. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung, File)

Chris Brown’s plans to tour Down Under were in jeopardy on Sunday after the Australian government formally warned the troubled R&B singer that he is likely to be denied a visa because of his criminal conviction for assaulting pop star Rihanna.

The immigration department issued Brown a “notice of intention to consider refusal,” giving him 28 days to present evidence as to why he should be allowed to enter the country, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said in a statement.

The notice comes just days after former Immigration Minister Michaelia Cash urged Dutton to refuse the 26-year-old American a visa on character grounds.

“People need to understand if you are going to commit domestic violence and then you want to travel around the world, there are going to be countries that say to you: ‘You cannot come in because you are not of the character we expect in Australia,’” Cash, who is now minister for women, told reporters last week.

The immigration department will decide whether to grant Brown a visa after the 28-day timeframe has expired.

In a statement, Brown’s publicist, Nicole Perna, said the singer respected Australia’s right to review his visa request and has “faith that a decision will be made with the full consideration of his continued personal growth, on-going philanthropic endeavors and desire to perform for his fans.”

ABC apologizes

ABC News apologized for promoting as an exclusive a videotape of O.J. Simpson that NBC had aired 15 years ago.

In a statement issued Friday, ABC said it had the wrong impression that video footage from a 1990s civil suit deposition given by Simpson had not aired before at length. But NBC’s “Dateline” had broadcast video from the deposition in 1999.

The tapes were part of ABC’s “20/20” broadcast that aired Friday after being heavily promoted by the network as including “never-before-seen videos” of Simpson being questioned about the killings of his ex-wife, Nicole Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman.

The former football star and actor, who had been acquitted in 1995 of criminal charges in the deaths, was found liable by a jury in the 1997 lawsuit.

“Dateline” took to Twitter to debunk ABC’s claim of exclusivity, tweeting that “Good Morning America” was “partying like it’s 1999!”

Happy birthday

Singer Avril Lavigne is 31. … Rapper Lil’ Wayne is 33. … Actress Anna Camp (”The Mindy Project”) is 33. … Actress Gwyneth Paltrow is 43. … Actress Naomi Watts is 47. … Singer-actor Meat Loaf is 68.

Got scoops or Bay Area celebrity gossip? Email scoop@sfexaminer.com.ABCAustraliaChris BrownNBCO.J. SimpsonRihanna

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

People fish at a dock at Islais Creek Park on Thursday, June 10, 2021. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
What Islais Creek tells us about rising sea levels in San Francisco

Islais Creek is an unassuming waterway along San Francisco’s eastern industrial shoreline,… Continue reading

Organizer Jas Florentino, left, explains the figures which represent 350 kidnapped Africans first sold as slaves in the United States in 1619 in sculptor Dana King’s “Monumental Reckoning.” The installation is in the space of the former Francis Scott Key monument in Golden Gate Park. (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)
What a reparations program would look like in The City

‘If there’s any place we can do it, it’s San Francisco’

Officer Joel Babbs, pictured at a protest outside the Hall of Justice in 2017, is representing himself in an unusually public police misconduct matter. <ins>(Courtesy Bay City News)</ins>
The strange and troubling story of Joel Babbs: What it tells us about the SFPD

The bizarre and troubling career of a whistle-blowing San Francisco police officer… Continue reading

Real solutions to California’s wildfire problems

By Dan Walters CalMatters Physicist Albert Einstein is widely, albeit erroneously, thought… Continue reading

Father Paul J. Fitzgerald, President of the University of San Francisco, gives the invocation before Mayor London Breed takes the oath of office at City Hall on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
What universities learned from distance learning during COVID-19: A USF perspective

By Rev. Paul J. Fitzgerald, S.J. The relief is palpable. With vaccination… Continue reading

Most Read