Pixar boss John Lasseter at the premiere of Disney's “Zootopia” at the El Capitan Theatre, Hollywood on February 17, 2016.

Pixar boss John Lasseter at the premiere of Disney's “Zootopia” at the El Capitan Theatre, Hollywood on February 17, 2016.

Pixar exec takes leave of absence after harassment allegations

John Lasseter, the chief creative officer of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, is taking a leave of absence, citing unspecified “missteps,” according to a memo to staff.

A story published in the Hollywood Reporter details the accounts of women at Pixar who were made to feel uncomfortable by Lasseter’s unwanted touch. Lasseter was known around the company as a “hugger” and allegedly tried to kiss his female employees on the mouth.

Lasseter, who built Pixar Animation Studios into an entertainment juggernaut, said in the memo that the decision followed “difficult conversations.”

“I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me,” Lasseter wrote in the memo. “It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them. … It’s been brought to my attention that I have made some of you feel disrespected or uncomfortable. That was never my intent.”

The women of Pixar developed strategies to avoid Lasseter and his unwanted groping — particularly at wrap parties where he was known to drink heavily. One former employee anonymously alleged her manager didn’t allow her to attend meetings with Lasseter because “John has a hard time controlling himself around young pretty girls,” she told Variety.

The woman said her absence from those meetings left her feeling “undervalued and stifled” at Pixar. Ultimately, she left, citing leadership that stunted her career instead of having “difficult conversations with the most important, high-ranking and powerful man in the company.”

CHARLIE ROSE FIRED

Charlie Rose’s CBS News career came to an unceremonious end Tuesday when the network fired him over allegations of sexual harassment.

“A short time ago we terminated Charlie Rose’s employment with CBS News, effective immediately,” CBS News President David Rhodes wrote in a note to staff. “Despite Charlie’s important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace.”

QUEEN BEE REMAINS ON TOP

Is there anything Beyonce doesn’t excel at?

Last year, the singer was fifth on Forbes’ list of highest-paid female musicians. But with the release of the critically lauded “Lemonade,” and her Formation World Tour, the 36-year-old nearly doubled her income and earned the top spot on Forbes’ 2017 list.

Between June 1, 2016, and June 1, 2017, she made $105 million. Trailing behind with a mere $69 million is Adele, followed by Taylor Swift at No. 3 with $44 million, Celine Dion at No. 4 with $42 million and Jennifer Lopez rounding out the top five with $38 million.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Actress Scarlett Johannson is 33 … Actor Mark Ruffalo is 50 … Actress Jamie Lee Curtis is 59 … Director Terry Gilliam is 77.

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

District Attorney Chesa Boudin announces charges against former SFPD Officer Christopher Samoyoa in the 2017 fatal shooting of Keita O’Neill at a press conference outside the Hall of Justice on Monday, Nov. 23, 2020. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
DA Boudin charges fired SFPD officer with manslaughter over fatal shooting

Ex-Officer Christopher Samayoa to face criminal charges in killing of Keita O’Neil

The area near the Castro Muni Metro Station is expected to be affected by construction work on the Twin Peaks Tunnel, with lane closures on Market Street and some loss of parking. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Construction on Twin Peaks Tunnel to begin November 30

Area around Castro Muni Station will see greatest impacts including lane closures on Market Street

(Genaro Molina/Pool/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Newsom calls latest surge of COVID-19 cases ‘unprecendented’

By Eli Walsh Bay City News Foundation California’s latest surge of COVID-19… Continue reading

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, during a news conference on March 10, 2020. (Myung J. Chun/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
LA County suspends outdoor dining at restaurants as coronavirus surges

By Alex Wigglesworth Los Angeles Times Los Angeles County public health officials… Continue reading

Renderings of the main entrance to upcoming Mission Bay elementary school on Owens Street. (Courtesy photo)
SFUSD offers first look at planned Mission Bay elementary school

San Francisco school officials this month unveiled the design of a planned… Continue reading

Most Read