Kevin Spacey assault accusations under review by LA prosecutors

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office is reviewing a case of alleged sexual abuse involving Kevin Spacey, shown in a file image from June 2017. (Ash Knotek/Snappers/Zuma Press/TNS)

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office is reviewing a case of alleged sexual abuse involving Kevin Spacey, shown in a file image from June 2017. (Ash Knotek/Snappers/Zuma Press/TNS)

The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office is reviewing a case of alleged sexual abuse involving Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey, officials said on Wednesday.

“Yes. I can confirm our office did receive a case involving Kevin Spacey,” Greg Risling, a spokesperson for the district attorney’s office, said in an email.

The department’s Special Victims Bureau began an investigation into allegations of a sexual assault involving Spacey on Dec 11, 2017, Sheriff’s Department spokesperson Nicole Nishida said.

The investigation was completed and presented to the district attorney’s office Entertainment Industry Sex Crimes Task Force for review and filing consideration.

Officials have declined to give specifics about the allegation against Spacey, but the date of the alleged incident would make it impossible to prosecute.

Any sex crime involving an adult that occurred in 1992 would fall outside California’s statute of limitations. Two years ago, California lawmakers enacted a law eliminating the previous 10-year statute of limitations for rape — the most serious of sex crimes — but that does not include offenses prior to 2016.

Spacey, 58, the former artistic director of the Old Vic theater in London, already is the subject of multiple police investigations in Massachusetts and England.

He is the subject of at least three sex crime investigations by London’s Metropolitan Police. The Old Vic said it has received 20 allegations of inappropriate behavior involving him.

Spacey also is facing criminal investigation in the United States after an 18-year-old reported to authorities in November that Spacey grabbed his genitals in a Nantucket, Mass., bar in 2016.

The two-time Oscar winner has been accused of sexual misconduct by at least 15 men; the alleged incidents span his decades in film and on the stage. In October, actor Anthony Rapp alleged that in 1986, when Rapp was 14, Spacey made sexual advances toward him in a hotel room. Since then, several men have come forward to report incidents involving the actor.
After Rapp made his allegation, Spacey issued a statement saying he did not remember the incident but apologized for “deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.”

As the number of alleged incidents escalated, Netflix cut Spacey from his lead role in the award-winning series “House of Cards.” Ridley Scott also edited out Spacey from his lead role in “All the Money in the World,” reshooting parts of the film with Christopher Plummer as John Paul Getty Sr.

MOVING TO THE MET

After just two years in San Francisco, Max Hollein is taking off. Hollein, the current director and chief executive of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, was selected to be the new director of New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art. His tenure begins this summer.

“The Met is one of its kind,” Hollein was quoted as saying in the New York Times “The museum has the opportunity to be not just an art destination,” but “a major provider of understanding and different narratives to a global audience.”

Still, Hollein has nothing but good things to say of his Bay Area employers.
“It’s an institution that’s on very stable ground.” he told KQED on Wednesday. “It’s fiscally responsible. The budget is balanced. It has great programming. The staff is energized. New top management. It’s a perfect situation for someone to enter into.”

FAMSF has yet to identify a replacement for Hollein.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Actress Saoirse Ronan is 24 … Actress Claire Danes is 39 … Actor Ed O’Neill is 72 … Musician Herbie Hancock is 78.

 

Just Posted

Dreamforce returned to San Francisco in person this week – but with a tiny sliver of past attendance. (Courtesy Salesforce)
Dreamforce returns with hundreds on hand, down from 170,000 in the past

High hopes for a larger Salesforce conference shriveled during the summer

The numbers show nearly 14 percent of San Francisco voters who participated in the Sept. 14 recall election wanted to oust Gov. Gavin Newsom from elected office. (Shutterstock photo)
(Shutterstock photo)
How San Francisco neighborhoods voted in the Newsom recall

Sunset tops the list as the area with the most ‘yes’ votes

Alison Collins says that she and other members of San Francisco Unified School District Board of Education facing potential recall “represent constituents that are often erased or talked over.” <ins>(Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)</ins>
Alison Collins speaks: Embattled SF school board member confronts the recall effort

‘It’s important for folks to know what this recall is about. It’s bigger than any one of us.’

Is the Black Cat incident a distraction from the recovery of The City’s storied nightlife industry or does Mayor London Breed’s behavior inadvertently highlight the predicament the industry’s been in since San Francisco reinstated indoor mask requirements on Aug. 20?<ins> (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner, 2021)</ins>
Club owners to maskless mayor: Are we the new fun police?

Black Cat affair highlights difficult recovery for nightlife industry

BART’s Powell Street station in The City was the site of a fatal accident on Sept. 13.<ins> (Kevin N. Hume/The Examiner)</ins>
Powell Station death serves as a grim reminder. BART doors don’t stop for anyone

What you need to know about safety sensors on the trains

Most Read