10. Paris and Nicole reconcile: After long-estranged “Simple Life” stars Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie bonded over resistance to producers’ plans for the show’s next season and renewed their friendship, paparazzi rejoiced. You would think Israel and Palestine had brokered an accord from the media’s reaction to photos of the twiggy twosome happily shopping and lunching together.
9. Jennifer Aniston has a hit movie: With a string of big-screen flops in her wake and the box-office curse of the real-life couple hanging over her and co-star Vince Vaughn’s heads, Jennifer Aniston’s odds for a hit with “The Break-Up” weren’t looking good. But when the flick opened at number one, Team Aniston was thrilled that things were finally going Jen’s way.
8. Kylie Minogue’s comeback: After postponing her “Showgirl” tour to focus on treating her breast cancer last year, the beloved Australian pop diva made a triumphant post-recovery return to the stage in November, telling the adoring Sydney audience she was just being “fashionably late.”
7. Kingston Rossdale’s birth: No Doubt singer Gwen Stefani had made no secret of her desire for a family, so fans were thrilled when she and husband Gavin Rossdale of Bush delivered their first son, Kingston James McGregor Rossdale, in May. Turns out the only thing cuter than Gwen in maternity clothes is her faux-hawked baby boy in his kiddie-rocker outfits.
6. Heartthrobs come out: Former teen idols Lance Bass of ’N Sync and Neil Patrick Harris of “Doogie Howser, M.D.” both announced they were gay this year, and the world didn’t end. Nor did their careers. In fact, both received an outpouring of public support and congratulations, not to mention good press. So what’s the rest of closeted Hollywood waiting for?
5. Suri Cruise’s birth: It sort of seemed like Katie Holmes had been pregnant forever. So it was a relief to learn that she would no longer be toting that ginormous belly to every shoe store in the greater L.A. area. Despite Katie and Tom’s mysterious disappearance after the baby’s arrival, initial excitement about Suri’s supposedly silent birth quieted paranoid suspicions that Katie had been sporting a fake bump.
4. Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban’s wedding: Australia’s premier power couple came home to celebrate their nuptials in June, and their fellow Aussies gave them royal treatment. Never mind that the country rocker landed in rehab a few months later — on their wedding day, it was pure fairy tale romance.
3. TomKat’s wedding: As with Suri’s birth, the blessed union of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes was an event some celeb watchers thought would never come to pass. But almost a year and a half after they jubilantly announced their engagement, and seven months after Katie shed her baby weight, the couple made it official with a lavish, star-studded ceremony at a castle in Italy.
2. Britney divorces K-Fed: Perhaps 2006’s most momentous text message was the one sent by pop princess Britney Spears to her widely reviled husband Kevin Federline informing him that their marriage was over. Who knows whether his rumored dalliances or his CDs resounding flop were the last straw for Brit? Point is, you could practically hear a heavenly choir of angels trilling “Hallelujah!” at the news.
1. Shiloh Jolie-Pitt’s birth: If Marilyn Monroe and Elvis rose from the grave and had a baby, it probably wouldn’t garner as much media attention as the offspring of A-list couple Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. After breathless speculation about Shiloh’s looks throughout Angie’s pregnancy, official photos silenced skeptics: Yes, the world’s two most beautiful people actually did produce the world’s most beautiful baby.
Kitty Raymond is an entertainment writer who has a celebrity astrology blog at www.celebastroblogy.com.