(Photo by Ben Ng/Dirtybird Quarterly 2018)

Online petition seeks to save SF music venue from closure

A petition has been launched in an effort to save longtime San Francisco music venue Mezzanine–which announced last week that it would be closing next year and replaced with office space.

Officials with Mezzanine, located at 444 Jessie St., said that after 15 years it’s being forced to close in October 2019 because the building’s owners have decided not to renew its lease.

Molly Bacon, who started the online petition said on the page, “It is the largest independent female-owned music venue in San Francisco and a staple of the SF music scene. Now, the Mezzanine is being forced to shut down due to the building owners’ desire for a 600 percent rent increase.”

“The Mezzanine joins a growing and depressing list of San Francisco music venues that have shuttered or ceded to corporate control this year,” Bacon said. “Hemlock Tavern and Elbo Room both recently announced their closure due to greedy developers,” referencing two other San Francisco music venues also set to close soon.

The petition, which can be found at www.care2.com/go/z/mezzanine, has reportedly garnered more than 6,000 signatures since this afternoon.

Last week, Mezzanine’s owner Deborah Jackman said that she was disappointed the building’s owners didn’t grant her a new lease and denied her a three-month extension so that the venue could close at the end of 2019.

“What I find most disturbing is that Mezzanine, like so many other cultural institutions, has fallen victim to corporate greed and commercial development,” she said.

As the venue prepares to close, Mezzanine said it’s planning a Sweet Sixteen celebration in April 2019 with numerous high-profile shows scheduled for that month.

-Daniel Montes, Bay City News

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Find out more at www.sfexaminer.com/join/

Just Posted

The admissions process at the academically competitive Lowell High School is set to change this year due to coronavirus restritions. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Lowell’s selective admissions process put on hold this year — and more changes may be in the works

School board votes unanimously to use normal student assignment lottery for competitive school

Dr. Vincent Matthews, superintendent of the San Francisco Unified School District, said Tuesday that student would not be back in school before the end of this calendar year. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
Superintendent: City schools will not reopen before the end of the year

San Francisco public schools won’t reopen to students for the rest of… Continue reading

San Francisco will allow bars selling drinks, and not food, to begin serving customers outdoors under health guidelines going into effect next month. (Kevin N. Hume/S.F. Examiner)
SF becomes first Bay Area County to move to least restrictive COVID-19 category

Change to ‘yellow’ will allow more indoor dining and fitness, reopening non-essential offices

City officials want to install more red light cameras but the process is costly and time consuming. (Shutterstock)
Transit officials push for more red light cameras

SFMTA says ‘capital crunch’ and dragging timelines make expanding the program cumbersome

Police release an image a cracked windshield on a Prius that Cesar Vargas allegedly tried to carjack. Vargas, who was shot by police a short time later, can be seen in videos jumping on the windshield and pushing a Muni passenger who disembarked from a bus. (Courtesy SFPD
SFPD releases videos of deadly police shooting

Cesar Vargas killed after reports of carjacking with knife

Most Read