O.J. Simpson appeared in court Wednesday to make a case for overturning his armed robbery and kidnapping convictions. Too bad Johnny Cochrane is dead, because Simpson is blaming his imprisonment on his old defense attorney, Yale Galanter.
O.J. maintains that his lawyer told him to go to that hotel room in Vegas in 2007 to try to get his sports memorabilia back. So his defense is basically that since his lawyer told him it was OK, he is not legally responsible for the fact that what happened was actually against the law.
Looking simultaneously careworn and beefy, a shackled O.J. stated his case in court and seemed to tear up a bit when he discussed certain items he had been after, like his All-American certificate and, strangely, a picture of J. Edgar Hoover.
Simpson, according to the New York Post, has always contended that he had “no idea” that the other guys who bum-rushed the hotel room with him had guns and that the whole thing was just a great big fiasco. (Kind of like his acting career?) If the court buys this version, Simpson stands a chance of avoiding up to 25 more years in prison.
- Dead rappers Eazy-E and Ol’ Dirty Bastard will make appearances at the Rock the Bells festival … as holograms.</li>
- An ex-nanny of Usher’s children is suing the pop star for “six figures” for allegedly overworking and underpaying her.
- Despite first hearing about his daughter’s double mastectomy on the Internet, Jon Voigt called Angelina Jolie “an inspiration to all women.”
- PBS has okayed a premier date for season four of “Downton Abbey,” January 5th 2014.
- Britney Spears says she really wants another child and she hopes it will be a girl.
- Actress Megan Fox (“Transformers”) is 27.
- TV host Jason “Wee-Man” Acuna (“Jackass”) is 40.
- Actress Tori Spelling (“Beverly Hills, 90210”) is 40.
- Actor David Boreanaz (“Angel”) is 44.
- Singer Janet Jackson is 47.
- Bassist Krist Novoselic of Nirvana is 48.
- Actress Mare Winningham (“Mildred Pierce”) is 54.
- Actress Debra Winger (“In Treatment”) is 58.
- Actor Pierce Brosnan (“Die Another Day”) is 60.
- Musician Jonathan Richman is 62.
Got scoops or Bay Area celebrity gossip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.